A low-tech ten gallon sitting on the dinner table. Alternative nickname was "catTV".
This is Toast. She thinks she's helpful. (She's really not.)
This is the tank at the moment.
Substrate: Organic potting mix and pool filter sand. Entertainingly, the pool place guy knew that I was working on an aquarium as soon as I asked for "the smallest amount of sand you can sell me". Unfortunately, that was fifty pounds.
Lighting: At the moment, two 15-watt lights that fit the hood. Once I figure out how much light it really needs, I'll adjust that.
Hardscape: At the moment, a rock that I found outside. I'll pick up some more rocks tomorrow, and I've got an order in for some driftwood.
Plants: At the moment (gosh, I'm saying that a lot), just what I could find at the LFS: an 'assorted anubia', a java fern, and some rotala rotundifolia I was very pleasantly surprised to find. Working on an order for some more.
I failed to think about tannin-leeching from the soil.
It looked even worse before I did a major water change. The plants are out because I also did some major substrate sculpture- sifted out the floaters that I could and deepened the sand. At the moment, I'm waiting for some glue, and then I'm going to put together some rock piles to toss in. One's specifically a cairn that'll go under the filter output to help diffuse the force of the water, and hopefully also provide a bit of a hiding spot for any babies. Also, a tiny henge and a little pyramid.
Toast got put in time-out (i.e. the bathroom) because she was very, very curious about the plants. She's out now, and the plants are in a Tupperware container. When I get the rocks together this afternoon, I'll post again.
The Purigen in the filter has taken care of the tannin issue. The shrimp I ordered arrived healthy, but they're smaller than I expected and the filter is too strong for them. At the moment, since they're the only thing in the tank, I've got the filter turned off; I'm going to buy a pre-filter sponge as soon as possible.
So I haven't posted but plenty of stuff has happened. Plants arrived, I switched in a sponge filter for the HOB, and I just now got some fish! I was planning on pygmy cories, ember tetras, and dwarf rasboras, but wound up finding a GREAT price on endlers down at the fish store in Madison. No ember tetras and no dwarf rasboras, so I went with those guys instead, and emerald dwarf rasboras instead of straight ol' rasboras. Everybody's in the tank, settling down. I've got some pictures but they aren't too good. I'll try again tomorrow.