The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There's somthing wrong with my fishes eye loooookkk!! how do I fix it =(
Plzzzzz help!!!!!
Update: Fish died...... How do i stop if from happening again =( thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
If it is a bacterial infection you don't want to risk transferring it to any of the other fish. Typically it is best to put him in QT but if you don't have an extra tank, then you don't got one. Nothing to do, but treat the whole tank. I am not for sure that is it, but it's the first thing that comes to my mind.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How big is this tank?
It's cheaper to treat in a 10G separately.
the tank is 26 gallons. ok so if i wanted to set up my 10 gallon how would i go about doing it? can i just set it up add a filter heater and water? then throw the fish in? or do i have to wait for it to cycle and all that? the filter will be brand new i have an aqueon quiet flow 10 that i never touched. i was planning on replacing the media with some sort of sponge because i know the carbon in the media that it comes with will remove for medicine. will this work?

·
Registered
319 Posts
If its not already cycled, you will need to seed it with filter material from the main tank (I would also just pull water out of the tank to fill it as well so the parameters aren't different) and as you mentioned make sure its not carbon.

I would probably add water conditioner and allow it to run for a little while before you pop him in there so as not to just stress him out too much.

Keep in mind with antibiotics you will kill some of your biological filter and if you treated your main tank, its possible to have a mini-cycle.

But as mistergreen said, its cheaper to treat 10g over 26g.

Set up the 10g with tank water from the main tank and place some filter material from your main tank in the filter (and some new stuff if you'd like; just no carbon). Get your heater in there. Add water conditioner, let it run for a little while with the medicine in there and then transfer the fish.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If its not already cycled, you will need to seed it with filter material from the main tank (I would also just pull water out of the tank to fill it as well so the parameters aren't different) and as you mentioned make sure its not carbon.

I would probably add water conditioner and allow it to run for a little while before you pop him in there so as not to just stress him out too much.

Keep in mind with antibiotics you will kill some of your biological filter and if you treated your main tank, its possible to have a mini-cycle.

But as mistergreen said, its cheaper to treat 10g over 26g.

Set up the 10g with tank water from the main tank and place some filter material from your main tank in the filter (and some new stuff if you'd like; just no carbon). Get your heater in there. Add water conditioner, let it run for a little while with the medicine in there and then transfer the fish.
ok i didnt want to use tank water from the main tank because i just did a 30% water change so i used just hose water and i took some media and placed it in the filter i am going to buy the medicine tomarow for the pop eye. how long should i let it run before i put the fish in... and i just found out that one of my fish has ich... im failing right now.... i think it was from the new fish i added.... super anoying... at least i almost have a QT tank set up thought... so i can fix these problems. =(

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can do a 50+% water change every few days and the fish will be safe so you don't have to worry about cycling.
oh ok i see thanks for the help.... because i used brand new water how long should i wait to put the fish in? i took some media from my main tank though and added it to the new filter.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.