The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fish Den makes me want to put on a 3/4 t-shirt

1637 Views 23 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  WillyJ
What is it about aquarium stores that makes them so 70's!
When I was a kid I never noticed it.. The reason, it was the 70's! Yea, I'm gettin old over here!

But man, every time I go into the Fish Den I expect to see a new episode of Chips of the Love Boat, or maybe do a Brady Bunch dance. There are some young guys that work there, but they are sort of a 3/4 t-shirt, Led Zeppelin type of crowd, too.

Dated looking wood panels here and there.
Display cases, etc. that are absolutely from the 70's.

Don't get me wrong, I like the store! They have been pretty good to me although most of the questions that are answered on this forum would be greek to them.

But, jeez... My wife says it's like some kind of late 70's dungeons and dragons dorkfest in there and it smells accordingly. Ok, I was one of those dorks but that was a long time ago!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Most fish stores I've been to are ugly, cramped, hot, musky and looks very run down and old. Nothing fancy... ugly ugly.. but I guess it has to do with the money.
You should check out Aqua Imports up here. It's dark and damp with concrete floors and junk stacked all over. But what they lack in asethetics they make up in service and knowledge :icon_bigg
Well, I can see why they want to go with concrete, etc. Everything gets wet! Ok, I get it. But, why the 70's theme?

I mean, a little paint maybe?
Too late, better have done in the beginning, poisonous fumes.
Too late, better have done in the beginning, poisonous fumes.
Over a 30 year period, I think they could probably pull it off. Plus there are all sort of ways to dress up a room. I re-tiled my bathroom and hung up new light fixtures when we bought our house. Just something!!

Maybe some post-2000 haircuts, too!
Maybe you need to bring it up to them. some people who are old fashion don't realize these kind of things!!
Hey I'm one of those old people!

Anyways, as a business owner myself I don't really take kindly to people telling me how to do businesses. I imagine they dont' either.

My observation is that there is HUGE burnout in the 'fish store' business. Can you imagine spending your day answering the same questions?

This thread was mainly intended for the silliness factor, though it is painful to go in some of these stores.
You are only one if you say you are lol. You may come from the same time from them, but you can make yourself different! Kaboom! Alakazam! Poof! Ta-dah!

Well anyways, I meant as a suggestions not tell them they have to paint it. Like all those bigger stores always have surveys where you rate them on cleanliness and how neat, and how things were arranged and all that.

But like I said, it probably has to do with the money. I can't imagine making lots of money on fish...
You are only one if you say you are lol.
Ahh the wisdom of youth :)
I remember being younger and saying things like 'age is just a number'. I never heard anyone over 40 say that!!

But yea, in fairness to those guys. It's a tough business, and a sort of humid and wet one, too!
Ahh the wisdom of youth :)
I remember being younger and saying things like 'age is just a number'. I never heard anyone over 40 say that!!

But yea, in fairness to those guys. It's a tough business, and a sort of humid and wet one, too!
Yeaa, it's always the young people that can say something like this lol. Yea what is up with the age deal? When people get older they are so much more secretive and sensitive about their age! It's a part of life though and everyone will eventually get to experience it too... it's just so strange. I wonder if I'll become like that... I've noticed that women are more secretive and sensitive about their age more than men I think. And it starts happening when they turn 30! O_O
Yea that definitely goes on.

I have noticed that as we get older, we divide into two groups - people that don't really mind aging so much, and those who are fighting it every step of the way. Some people are proud and happy to disclose their age and others hide it, but usually not between!

Women have different pressures than men when it comes to youth, beauty, etc.

For the record, I was born in 1968. The 60's baby!
It's what's in the tanks that counts!
Yess, hopefully if they have some cool stuff people will be fixated on that!

Yea that definitely goes on.

I have noticed that as we get older, we divide into two groups - people that don't really mind aging so much, and those who are fighting it every step of the way. Some people are proud and happy to disclose their age and others hide it, but usually not between!

Women have different pressures than men when it comes to youth, beauty, etc.

For the record, I was born in 1968. The 60's baby!
I don't know what group I'll be... probably the group that doesn't care. I've never really cared about my appearance just until recently. I think it is because I keep getting rejected from jobs stuff that I've been a little more concerned on how I look.

I've considered make-up as I have never worn any before except when I was a wee kid playing with mom's. The only stuff I wear regularly are lip moisturizer and lotion if that counts lol. But man, make-up is expensive and I just don't have the dedication to do that kind of stuff! I tried doing pencil eyeliner last month, but I couldn't do it because it tickles too much which made me cry and then I could never get it close to the eye line. Hahahahahaha!!!

So I'm like s%@# this!! Too much trouble for me. XD I'd rather spend the money on some fish stuff, or a super awesome powerful gaming computer, or a PS3, or a XBOX360, a Hauppauage HD PVR, etc etc...
Seriously, though, can you imagine remodeling a store crammed full of tanks? If you didn't take all the fish out, you'd have to be concerned about dust, etc. getting in the tanks, and if you DID take them out, where would you put them all?? 2000 gallons of uncycled tanks anyone??

Sounds like a nightmare. :icon_frow
I can imagine it would be tough, and you'd really only want to do it every 20 years or so :)
Well I went to Fish Den, Aquatic Dog, and Aquarium Warehouse. I think the warehouse is the most ugliest, then the Fish Den. Fish Den wasn't too bad, could use some more lights but otherwise I didn't think it was bad.

Aquatic Dog didn't have their "Blue Dot Mantano" in :( I went all the way to Denver and spent 1/3 tank of gas just to see them1!!!
I wonder if it might be a good idea to start a thread listing species above and beyond the usual found in our LFS's since ours are very spread apart. I have been thinking this for a while. This would not be a review, but just a listing of what we found on trips there, so others can find the species they might want without wasting gas getting there to find the species are not there they would like.
Sounds good to me. I can write up the stuff at Great White Aquatics, I think they have a few stuff that can't be found at a Petsmart/Co or Walmart. I don't really like to go to D&G Pets.

On the other hand, Fish Den sure had a lot of different types of rocks and some nice looking Malaysian Driftwood. I saw the LAce Rock you were talking about in some other thread. Some crazy colored glass rocks, do people really buy that stuff lol.
Sounds good to me. I can write up the stuff at Great White Aquatics, I think they have a few stuff that can't be found at a Petsmart/Co or Walmart. I don't really like to go to D&G Pets.

On the other hand, Fish Den sure had a lot of different types of rocks and some nice looking Malaysian Driftwood. I saw the LAce Rock you were talking about in some other thread. Some crazy colored glass rocks, do people really buy that stuff lol.
lol yea.

the lace rock looks awesome once it is in the tank.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.