The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 55 gal planted tank that currently houses a pleco, red tailed shark, 2 rainbow fish, 3 black skirt tetras, 2 mollies, and a glow fin danio. It seems a strange mix of fish mostly which I have my 3 kids to thank for their assistance in choosing. I have a few questions, I am finally getting to the point that its time to "coordinate" the occupants of my tank and replace some of the fish with others.
What I would like to have:
shrimp
german blue rams
schooling fish (rasboras, neons, cardinals, etc.)
red-eyed lyretail swordtail
maybe more rainbow fish(?)
also, my daughter has a betta she wants to put in my tank so she can get other fish for her 2.5 gal tank.

I realize that not all the fish will work together, and I am assuming that the shrimp are the least likely to make the cut, the rams would be neat to have, but not a must have, and the lyretails are very close to being a must have. At the moment my plans are to get rid of my tetras. So I guess my questions are..... Is there a workable combination of fish available from the ones previously mentioned? Are there any suggested alternatives? And lastly, can my daughters betta be worked in somehow or will that require another tank?

I will try to get some pictures up of my tank if that would make it any easier to make suggestions.

Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
More rainbows, tetras, and danios...they are all schooling or shoaling fish, and you'll get a lot more out of them if they are in groups of at least 8 each. Once that is done, I am not sure you could get anything else.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
A 55g is a long tank, but not a deep tank, and you seem to have some mid level to upper level fish already. So if it were me i'd add to the existing species like your tetras, maybe add a school of cardinal tetras, and get a school of cory's for your bottom level, and amanos, not sure if you have those already you just said shrimp.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A 55g is a long tank, but not a deep tank, and you seem to have some mid level to upper level fish already. So if it were me i'd add to the existing species like your tetras, maybe add a school of cardinal tetras, and get a school of cory's for your bottom level, and amanos, not sure if you have those already you just said shrimp.
No shrimp yet, want to decide on other fish first before deciding to add shrimp, I don't want them to be an expensive meal for the fish. Will a single male betta do okay with more rainbow fish, some cory's, and lyretails? and will amano shrimp do well also? Could I add another pleco?

I don't really care for the black skirt tetras that I have, I only got them because they were on sale and I was told they are very durable.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The betta might not like the community tank. It VERY much depends on the temper. I had one kill fry, rip eyes out of fish, and take the jaw off another fish. Be ready with a back up plan for him. What else could you put in a 2.5 gallon? Not really anything else as pretty and feisty. Is your water hard or soft? That will also limit what you can get.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You should probably bump up the numbers of your rainbowfish and danios to at least 5 each - they'll be much happier. The betta could go in the 55 with the fish you have (and the fish you want to add) but there aren't really many (any?) other fish that would be okay in a 2.5 gallon. Rams are great fish but they prefer soft water while mollies really prefer hard water, though my bolivian rams are doing fine in hard water so really you never know. Figure out what you like about your fish and pick something that has that trait!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts