The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've had a few 10 gallon tanks with moderate success and one 32 gallon tank that lasted a year before a new fish snuck one hell of a parasite into my tank that bent all my fish in half seemingly overnight (I even quarantined the carrier for a week and he showed no signs of illness but upon introduction to my community tank the parasite attacked).
In the 32 gallon tank I had 5 zebra danios, 7 cardinal tetras, 4 bloodfin tetras, a dwarf gourami, a small pleco (wrong tank size, I know), and a few ghost catfish. I'm not very experienced outside of basic beginner fish and I'm wanting to get a 55 gallon planted tank going. I know what kinds of fish I'd like to get but I'm not sure how many would be too many or how well they'd get along (the extra cover provided by the plants gives me hope that fin nippers and fins may get along somewhat).

These are the fish I'm interested in and would greatly appreciate it if more experienced individuals can help me out.

Beckford's Pencilfish
Bloodfin Tetra
Cherry Barb
Coral Red Pencilfish
Red-striped Killifish
Red Line Torpedo Barb
Red Lizard Whiptail Plecostomus
Sparkling Gourami (I'm fairly certain these guys aren't going to be compatible, but a man can dream..)

Anyways thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
184 Posts
You should try playing with this, it is nice because you can try different combos of fish if your first choices aren't compatible. I had no idea what your filtration was and they don't have 32 gallon so I selected 30. You need a minimum of 5 of all the smaller fish, and the Pleco is too big plus I think that is too many fish for a 30 gallono after uping all the schooling fish to 5 each. Check it out for yourself.
http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor....AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should try playing with this, it is nice because you can try different combos of fish if your first choices aren't compatible. I had no idea what your filtration was and they don't have 32 gallon so I selected 30. You need a minimum of 5 of all the smaller fish, and the Pleco is too big plus I think that is too many fish for a 30 gallono after uping all the schooling fish to 5 each. Check it out for yourself.
http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor....AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple
Sorry I wasn't more clear, I'm finished with my 32 gallon and moving on to a 50-55 gallon tank. I listed previous fish and experience with aquariums trying to show I have previous experience in the hobby so I'm not told to stay away from certain fish. I'll be using one power filter and one Biowheel filter for the tank.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Oh okay the amount of fish you want sounds much better for a 55. Sorry I confused that, did you check out that link? just change the tank size to a 55 gallon and enter your filtration and it will give you results for different combos. It tells me not to keep my Rasboras with German Blue Rams due to different temp. requirements. I wish I had tried that combo on there before I got the fish! So far they are ok at the temp. I keep. I wasn't sure about the Whiptail, if you search whiptail another fish comes up that is a catfish and it didn't say it was too small for the 30. I couldn't find a pleco with the name whiptail. So you'd have to find it or select something similar to get an idea. I entered a 350B Biowheel (which is for a 70 gal.) http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor....AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh okay the amount of fish you want sounds much better for a 55. Sorry I confused that, did you check out that link? just change the tank size to a 55 gallon and enter your filtration and it will give you results for different combos. It tells me not to keep my Rasboras with German Blue Rams due to different temp. requirements. I wish I had tried that combo on there before I got the fish! So far they are ok at the temp. I keep. I wasn't sure about the Whiptail, if you search whiptail another fish comes up that is a catfish and it didn't say it was too small for the 30. I couldn't find a pleco with the name whiptail. So you'd have to find it or select something similar to get an idea. I entered a 350B Biowheel (which is for a 70 gal.) http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor....AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple
It's fine, I'm glad someone was able to give me some input. I'm checking the link out and it seems pretty useful so thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Always keep in mind that guides are simply guides. They should never be taken too much for being exactly right. The recommended 5 fish sound pretty stiff for me. Fish may "like" to school but think who can really say when a fish likes his setup? If the recommended setup is not what You want, I suggest looking what might be done to change it.
There are many plans which can help but there are also just as many plans which may not work. There are tons of variables to consider. A big one is what you want and how much you are willing to do to make it work.
The only way I go is to try for what I want and always have a backup plan in mind if it begins to show trouble. If you get fish and they are not working, can you trade, sell, or give them away without too much grief? If yes, go for what you want and watch closely. If not, start with a few and add to it as you see fits.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In the wild fish are in groups of a lot larger then 5 (not all fish just the shoaling ones), so it would make sense to make them feel a little bit at home by giving them friends. Plus when you have 5+ fish they seem to bother other fish a lot less. Sure you can find exceptions to this but it is a good idea to do in case you don't get an exception.

Aqadvisor warns you of general suggestions that many fish keepers agree with, so while not perfect it can point you in the right direction

·
Registered
184 Posts
In the wild fish are in groups of a lot larger then 5 (not all fish just the shoaling ones), so it would make sense to make them feel a little bit at home by giving them friends. Plus when you have 5+ fish they seem to bother other fish a lot less. Sure you can find exceptions to this but it is a good idea to do in case you don't get an exception.

Aqadvisor warns you of general suggestions that many fish keepers agree with, so while not perfect it can point you in the right direction
I agree. And just wanted to say when I said " you need to up the smaller fish to 5 each" I meant Aqadvisor recommended it. I wasn't meaning to come off as telling you what to do sorry if it sounded that way.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
With the Beckford pencils, they are a little more rambunctious that the coral reds. They might cause some trouble, nothing beyond fin nipping but just a heads up :) I have some purple dwarf pencils and they are very shy fish until lights on. They flash for a bit then go back to grazing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts