The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm am trying to decide on what to stock my tank with based on my desires and what is available to me. I am posting here to make sure what I am choosing will be compatible and is safe to go with.

I have a 29G tank, using a Fluval 205, moderately planted (plants are completed selected yet, pretty close though), and many hiding places because of wood and rock placement, and lower plant selection.

6-10 Pseudomugil furcatus (Forktail Blue-eye rainbowfish)
Cherry Shrimp - Currently breeding
Amano Shrimp (unknown amount)
3-5 Panda Cory
Otos (Unknown amount)
1 Honey Gourami

How are my quantities of what I have listed above?

Gourami's are amongst my favorite fish out there and I am pretty determined to have one. I've been doing a lot of research on the Honey, three-spot, powder blue, pearl, opaline, flame, and dwarf/blue dwarf Gourami's and based on my findings, the Honey would be the calmest with the shrimp. Am I right? I understand they can be territorial and other stuff, but I know I'll be OK having just 1 in there, but is the Honey my best choice?

Part 2:
I'd like another 1-3 species of fish swimming in the tank, but here is where I'd like your help please. Here are fish I am considering (and most of them are available at LFS's here in Utah & I am open to the Shop n Swap here):

• Lemon Tetra
  • Cardinal Tetra
  • Black Neon Tetra
  • Green Neon Tetra
  • Rummynose Tetra
  • Green Fire Tetra
  • Longfin Serpae Tetra (although the 3 in my 10G hide every time I walk in the room, day or night)
  • Pristella Tetra
  • Diamond Tetra
  • Pencilfish (not sure what type)
  • Harlequin Rasbora
  • Featherfin Rainbowfish
  • Scissortail Rasbora
Quite the list huh? So basically, is there anything in there that would not be compatible with the shrimp or others I'm wanting in my tank? Would you have any other suggestions. I obviously enjoy colorful fish and ones that can stand out, possible in a school.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
769 Posts
[*]Longfin Serpae Tetra (although the 3 in my 10G hide every time I walk in the room, day or night)
!
They are hiding because they are a schooling fish. I suggest moving them to the big tank and getting more.
Also, Amano Shrimps eat Cherry Shrimp babies.
Here is my suggestion:

1 Honey Gourami
6 Panda Cory
6 Longfin Serpae Tetra
4 Oto
Cherry Shrimps

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wait, so no Pseudomugil furcatus? I think a 29G tank is gonna be extremely boring in the open swimming area with 1 Gourami and just 6 Tetras.

And would I be better doing Amano shrimp instead of Cherry shrimp to help with algae?

Plus, I may have not made it clear, but I'm breeding the Cherry shrimp in a separate 10G tank, so if they have babies in the 29G, I'm not extremely concerned if they get eaten.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Okay then. That changes things. Your right. So how about?

1 Honey Gourami
6 Pseudomugil furcatus
6 Longfin Serpae Tetra
6 Panda Cory
Cherry Shrimp
Amano Shrimp

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay then. That changes things. Your right. So how about?

1 Honey Gourami
6 Pseudomugil furcatus
6 Longfin Serpae Tetra
6 Panda Cory
Cherry Shrimp
Amano Shrimp
I like your quote better now, haha. Thanks for your opinion! I wouldn't mind moving the 3 serpae out of my 10G and finding something else to put in there. So that is one option for sure.

And I know that Cory's are schooling fish, so with them is it highly recommended to have that many in this size tank? Or just what you've seen to work/recommend?

·
Registered
769 Posts
And I know that Cory's are schooling fish, so with them is it highly recommended to have that many in this size tank? Or just what you've seen to work/recommend?
It is highly recommend to have 4 or more.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh and RCS eat algae too
Really? I've always been told differently.
So what would you recommend then for shrimp here. I will obviously have plenty of RCS from my breeding tank, but I also like the look of the Amano's.
So maybe just a few of each?

Any opinions on the list of other fish?

·
Registered
884 Posts
my next project is a 29 gallon as well..

The live stock i wanted were:

1. 10 RCS shirmps.
2. 1 or 2 ghost shrimps.
3. 1 SAE
4. 4-5 Otos.
5. 5 nerite snails.
6. The rest of the biospace with tetras which my bioload can handle.

The first 5 should take care of algae for me unless my water chemistry is wacked... which then the first 2 will die first and tell me my water chemistry is wacked.

Really? I've always been told differently.
So what would you recommend then for shrimp here. I will obviously have plenty of RCS from my breeding tank, but I also like the look of the Amano's.
So maybe just a few of each?
i always heard RCS and CRS both ate algae...
However CRS is 2x or more the price of an RCS... and you need both in sufficient quantities to see any work done.

Ghost shrimps dont eat algae... all there good for is picking up what the fish dont eat... they make good garbage people on the floor if you dont have a floor sifter like a cory.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my next project is a 29 gallon as well..

The live stock i wanted were:

1. 10 RCS shirmps.
2. 1 or 2 ghost shrimps.
3. 1 SAE
4. 4-5 Otos.
5. 5 nerite snails.
6. The rest of the biospace with tetras which my bioload can handle.

The first 5 should take care of algae for me unless my water chemistry is wacked... which then the first 2 will die first and tell me my water chemistry is wacked.

i always heard RCS and CRS both ate algae...
However CRS is 2x or more the price of an RCS... and you need both in sufficient quantities to see any work done.

Ghost shrimps dont eat algae... all there good for is picking up what the fish dont eat... they make good garbage people on the floor if you dont have a floor sifter like a cory.
Great list!

And yeah, I have 2 ghost shrimp in another 10G as a clean up crew. I have those 2, 1 Oto, and 1 Amano and they do fine in that tank with 7 tetras. And I'm not going after CRS for the time being because of their price, and nobody has them available around my area. RCS are a good beginning species anyways.

What kind of tetras are you thinking of doing?

·
Registered
884 Posts
i hear otos need to be in a group to feel safe...

:\

Personally I saw a school of a mix of cardinals + neons + glow lights, and was VERY impressed.

The off patterns actually blend really nice if you got a good school, and can be a real big trip if you have the right lights to make them glow even further like red. :p

Also the SAE might make breeding RCS's very difficult.... it will most likely gobble the babies...
So you may need to restock RCS's every year...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i hear otos need to be in a group to feel safe...

:\

Personally I saw a school of a mix of cardinals + neons + glow lights, and was VERY impressed.

The off patterns actually blend really nice if you got a good school, and can be a real big trip if you have the right lights to make them glow even further like red. :p

Also the SAE might make breeding RCS's very difficult.... it will most likely gobble the babies...
So you may need to restock RCS's every year...
My cherries are breeding in a separate tank, so I'm not at all worried if they breed in the 29G and get eaten. It's all a part of the cycle.

And that may not be a bad option, to get a few mixes of tetras that will school together to mix colors. I would thoroughly enjoy staring at that for hours for sure! Now you really have me thinking!

And I plan on avoiding SAE's for now anyways. I'll most likely use them in a future tank.

·
Registered
884 Posts
lol id say try it out... but if u keep the schools even for each group it looks off.

Im hoping for 10 cardinals... 7 neons... and 5 glow lights..

Try to image it in your head... they will school together tho... from what ive been seeing.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol id say try it out... but if u keep the schools even for each group it looks off.

Im hoping for 10 cardinals... 7 neons... and 5 glow lights..

Try to image it in your head... they will school together tho... from what ive been seeing.
Very good point.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does anybody else have any other suggestions for a third fish species to help occupy the middle/top part of the tank?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts