The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm starting a 20H riparium soon and need some help choosing some fish. I would love to have some only neon tetras but I'm afraid they might eat the plants or the roots. My other option is a betta fish. Are there any other good choices? I would like to keep many small fish such as neon tetras or one nice big fish. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
65 Posts
How full are you planning on filling the tank with water? zebra danios, cardinal tetras, dwarf puffers, or micro rasboras might be good choices. Are you planting the bottom portion of the tank as well? maybe add some shrimp on top of one of the choices above.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Do you have plant ideas in mind? I have some extra plants that I could send your way. I have some extra fish too that could be good choices. A lone Honduran Red Point convict could look good in that tank and I have a number of them that I am trying to re-home--would just need to watch for somewhat warmer weather for shipping.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Really any kind of fish suitable for a tank that size would be good. If the tank were open-top you would just have to be mindful of species that jump and keep the water level low enough so that they couldn't clear the top.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Killies are always good. I always thought a tank full of Golden Wonders would make a fine looking riparium fish. African butterfly fish are also a good choice imo as they would appreciate the overhanging foliage and pretty much sstay at the surface. Hatchet fish would also serve the same purpose if you wanted something smaller.

-Charlie

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Neons are almost always a good choice :) They are definitely not plant eaters (at least not in my experience and I've kept them in planted tanks). Just don't forget that you're not going to have 20g of water in there, rather you'll have about 1/3 (i think) so just remember that when choosing how many fish to get for a school (if you go the school route), and actually given that, I would recommend against zebra danios, they're pretty active and need a decent amount of swimming space. All of the other options given so far sound good too though!

Also, if you want a large school, ember tetras look really nice in a planted aquarium and they're tiny little boogers so you could get a lot of them, same goes for the boraras species (even smaller). A school of CPD (celestial pearl danios) could be nice, but they tend to be a bit shy so you might not see them as much.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
If you use African butterflyfish or hatchets you would need to cover the tank or lower the water level several inches, because they jump. A 20 might be rather small for a butterflyfish. I have never kept one but I understand they do best in a tank with a large footprint that gives them more water surface area to hang out in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided to go with the neon tetras and maybe some cherry shrimps. Hydrophyte, all of my plants are coming from you. I'm the one that order some plants and dry goods from you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 55 gallon aquarium yesterday but now thinking to make a riparium. Should I feel the aquarioum 1/3 or 1/4? Cover open/close? Will there be any bug menifastation if I keep the tank open? What fishes should I buy? I love colorful fishes and corals? Freshwater/salt water??I want something easy maintenence. I did not buy any stand yet and was hoping if I use the aquarium as riparium there will be less water and I will be able to use my media stand wich can hold a 60"' tv.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.