The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I was wondering while i watched my fish earlier, do fish especially live bearers only breed when they feel there is enough room or enough plants for the fry to hide in.

When my tank was fairly overgrown with only a few fish in there my mollies seemed to give birth regularly. But I now have more fish they haven't breed for months.

·
Registered
295 Posts
There are usually a few conditions which will determine your fish's willingness to breed. Food is a major factor with many species and so is tmep and water conditions. With many livebearers the females will not give birth until she is comfortable. I have a 10gal planted tank with a couple of guppies in there. I had 3 females and 1 male. That male died shortly after the first batch of fry were born. I added another male after the second batch and the females would not give birth anymore, it took them 3 weeks to adjust to the new male. Livemearer females will need to adjust to their environment almost anytime there is a change amde to it. Once they feel comfrotable again, they will give birth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.