The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be just seeing what I want to see, but I've noticed a definate behavior change in my fish since I put some live plants in my tank. I first put Java Moss on a piece of Mopani drift wood. I noticed the fish picking at it and hanging around next to it. Then I added some Amazon Frogbit and again noticed the fish hanging around near them. I even saw an Amano shrimp holding on to one, upside down (which I cant believe is even physically possible since he was twice the size of it). But, recently I bought a good sized chunk of Riccia. I'm leaving it floating, for now, until I re-do my tank. The fish seem to have fallen in love! They swim thru it, around it and generally just stay next to it. I'm not to good with fish names but, for the most part, they are tetras. The mollies dont seem to care about it. So, am I just seeing things?

·
Registered
792 Posts
What you are seeing is fish in their natural habitat. Yes they are happier!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yes, my fish are brighter colored, more active, and even longer-lived in planted tanks. I think they act more relaxed and natural with live plants.

·
Registered
334 Posts
good for you...i put plants in my gf's frontosa's tank and she rips it apart, then spits in a corner where she moved all the gravel/crushed coral to.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny you should mention mojo tacoman. I noticed some of them pairing off and twisting around each other up in the Riccia. That means I watched fish sex. I feel dirty :(

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hahaha very true. When I was breeding angels, I started with them in bare tanks with slates for them to lay on, but when I changed to putting amazon swords in pots in the tanks...wow, did I get a lot more babies!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts