The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12,856 Posts
Looks more like columnaris.

As Flavobacterium columnare is Gram-negative, fish can be treated with a combination of the antibiotics (nitrofurazone) and kanamycin administered together synergistically. A medicated fish bath (using aquarium merbromin (first choice), methylene blue, or potassium permanganate and salt),[3] is generally a first step, as well lowering the aquarium temperature to 75 °F (24 °C) is a must, since columnaris is much more virulent at higher temperatures, especially 85–90 °F.[4]

Medicated food containing oxytetracycline is also an effective treatment for internal infections, but resistance is emerging. Potassium permanganate, copper sulfate, and hydrogen peroxide can also be applied externally to adult fish and fry, but can be toxic at high concentrations. Vaccines can also be given in the face of an outbreak or to prevent disease occurrence.

I've personally managed it w/ "herbals".
Artimiss...
https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21424

Of course eSHa may be an herbal. No listing of what's in it..

*Nitrofurazone is more effective at lower pH levels. Nitrofurazone is not Skin absorbed , so use of this Bactericidal for systemic infections is not recommended. However Aquatronics and myself have found that Nitrofurazone combines well with Kanamycin (which is skin absorbing), and is very complimentary to each other as wells since Nitrofurazone is often better topically for Aeromonas while Kanamycin is generally more effective for Columnaris, and since these bacterial infections are often hard to differentiate by the average aquarist, this can be a good combination when unsure.

*Nitrofurazone can be combined with Kanaplex to make an even more wide spectrum treatment, especially for difficult cases of Columnaris or Aeromonas.
Or better, the already blended combination found in AAP Spectrogram provides for an easier to use and more importantly, more synergistic and effective combination since these two medications are already blended and are not used in a somewhat conflicting treatment regimen as in the Kanaplex/Furan 2 combination.
Never used it but some skuttlebut mentions hitting benefical bacterai (need to watch nitrite)
not invertebrate friendly.

·
Registered
12,856 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll do another large water change and start treating for columnaris. Someone on another forum also told me that my stocking was too advanced for a beginner, especially the rams and otos. Well that's great, I posted my planned stocking multiple times but nobody told me then... I'll keep you updated.
naahh.
Hopefully you only have one disese in there.
Aquatronics Aquarium Treatments from AAP | Merbromin, Spectrogram, more

1 - 2 of 2 Posts