The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ten gallon, lightly planted tank.

Flourite substrate
36W HO Power White lighting
20-30 Gallon HOB whisperer

I had 10 neon tetras, and 6 tiger barbs, and in the begining, about 5 snails that have now become 8 snails.

One amazon sword, two anubias, and one Java Moss Ball.

The tank has been established over a month.

Please give me some theories on why after 3 weeks of no fatalities, they are ALL dying now.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Sounds overcrowded and likely the water paramters are off.

Need your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings. If you don't own a test kit, many LFSs will test your water for free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll take some water over to my LFS at lunch. The tank was cycled for 3 weeks with 2 starter fish, who survied until now. Also, a piece of driftwood from an established tank was put it. I have never changed the filter while doing water changes. Only cleaned it with existing water from the tank. Thanks for your input everyone. I'll get the water info for you in a few hours.

·
Registered
712 Posts
You need to give us more information to be able to figure out what's going on...water parameters most importantly.

If you had a sudden die off then its likely due to water parameters.

You must understand that "cycled" for 2 fish doesn't mean its cycled for 10x or 20x that amount of fish. A tank is fully cycled only when the bacteria + plants (for our planted tanks) can eliminate all the ammonia + nitrites that is introduced into the tank by your fish/inverts/decaying food, etc.

If you introduced most of your fish all at once (read very short time), then it is likely that the added ammonia introduced into your tank was in excess of what the bacteria + plants could eliminate. This could have left a lot of ammonia left in your water that killed off your fish before bacteria levels could repopulate to consume the increased ammonia level.

You should quickly test your water to see whats going on. You could in theory mask the ammonia spike if you wait too long to test your water!

The only other possibilities are some sort of infection/disease that quickly wiped out your fiish or something "unnatural" that was introduced into your tank (i.e.: chemical). Do you dose anything in your tank?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I'd agree with the not cycled completely and there is probably a build up of ammonia, nitrite and/or nitrate.

I'd also agree that the tank is overstocked and the tiger barbs probably should be traded in for store credit. You might be able to get a couple more neons in there if you ditched the barbs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I believe in the 4-6 week cycle with a good amount of feeder fish to start it. Also that tank IMO sounds way over stocked. You can keep that many fish in a small tank(not so much barbs they are aggressive) but that just means more work on your part to keep everything under check. The smaller the tank the faster water parms change= more demand on your part to watch/fix any problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.