The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little school of otocinclus seem to become more animated anytime there's a change in the weather. This morning they were zooming like crazy across the tank, pausing to regroup, and then reversing and zooming to the other side. This behavior coincided with a nasty blizzard that was just beginning to hit the area.

Is this pretty common behavior with all fish, or are some more sensitive to barometric pressure, etc.?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I'm not quite sure what all fish species can tell differences in weather, but I know they can tell and behave differently during certain seasons, well at least in nature (with adjusting temps, sunlight hours and all).

But weather loaches aka dojo loaches are very well known fish that can sense Barometric pressure really well (yes even when indoors inside an aquarium). They get hyperactive when a storm is coming.

Cool to hear your otos might be sensing storms as well!
Hard to say for sure though without seeing the tank firsthand and knowing what other factors may be causing that behavior. Maybe they are just playing, spawning or what not. But if it becomes a very repeatable behavior during storms, then it is a observable behavior that may indeed be linked to that.

I haven't read up much on otos, but maybe if you looked it up, you might find similar cases.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not quite sure what all fish species can tell differences in weather, but I know they can tell and behave differently during certain seasons, well at least in nature (with adjusting temps, sunlight hours and all).

But weather loaches aka dojo loaches are very well known fish that can sense Barometric pressure really well (yes even when indoors inside an aquarium). They get hyperactive when a storm is coming.

Cool to hear your otos might be sensing storms as well!
Hard to say for sure though without seeing the tank firsthand and knowing what other factors may be causing that behavior. Maybe they are just playing, spawning or what not. But if it becomes a very repeatable behavior during storms, then it is a observable behavior that may indeed be linked to that.

I haven't read up much on otos, but maybe if you looked it up, you might find similar cases.
I'll have to do a little searching to see if this is an oto trait -- I had read about the weather loach somewhere and thought that would be a very cool fish, just don't have the right tank for them.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
As long as the tanks big enough, the otos can share the same cooler tank temps as weather loaches. With a tank filled of these barometric sensitive sensing fish, you can have your own weather forecast crew :)

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
A lot of betta breeders line up their breeding sessions with thunder storms as this often encourages the males to build bubble nests. Several on breeders that keep male betta splendens also report that they will build a nest/bigger nests when there is a pressure change from storm fronts coming in.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I haven't kept dojos and dwarf shrimp together, but did a quick search and everyone is saying the dojos ate em up (even the adults) :p So that wouldn't work haha (even with plenty of plant cover)
Larger sized shrimp like Amanos, Bamboo, etc should be safe though.

Temperature wise they could all be compatible though.

Some basic care specs for the mentioned livestock (note temperature ranges)
Misgurnus anguillicaudatus ? Oriental Weather Loach ? Seriously Fish
Otocinclus macrospilus ? Oto ? Seriously Fish
Red Cherry Shrimp .:. Neocaridina heteropoda sp. "Red Cherry" .:. Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp Species Information Page
Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
A lot of betta breeders line up their breeding sessions with thunder storms as this often encourages the males to build bubble nests. Several on breeders that keep male betta splendens also report that they will build a nest/bigger nests when there is a pressure change from storm fronts coming in.
If this is true you could probably replicate it artificially with something like a blower door on your fish room. It's used in heartng and air conditioning work to check for air leaks in a house and will either raise the air pressure or lower it slightly depending on the size of the house and fan used

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Just know that they can get to a pretty girthy size. They are peaceful as they don't attack fish, but they can get pretty active and bump into fish. They aren't the gentlest in that nature, during feeding they will run into whatever is in their path. They are pigs too so they eat quite a bit.

They can dig as well, so some not so well rooted plants may get dug up.

They can breathe out of water, but can still dry up and die, so as with many worm-body-like fish, it's a good idea to have a tight fitting lid to prevent them from jumping out.

There is also a golden variety if you wanted to mix the colors up. I've heard there may be more than one species, as some of the golden variety have been reported to have drastically different size in girth.

Still a very cool fish, but do have some traits to take into consideration.
They would prefer a sand substrate so it's easier on their skin and they can sift through the sand easier when looking for food.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.