The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just watched a Panda Tetra eating one of my berried RCS. Now all of my Panda Tetras are to become food for the cichlids.

I was wondering what you all thought would be a good combo of fish to replace the tetras in with shrimp in a high tech 55g planted tank?

Thanks for looking and any feed back is welcome.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Mind posting the current stock levels in your tank? Also, I'm not familiar with Panda Corys but I know I have 0 issues in my fish and shrimp tank as far as the fish eating my shrimps is concerned...mainly because they're all very small fish (my otos are actually the largest fish in the tank lengthwise).

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Basically any fish you get will eat any shrimplets they see. However, with adult RCS people find neon and cardinal tetras to be the safest. Just keep in mind that a fish will eat anything small enough to fit into their mouths.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
tetras are not the safest, and adult cardinals/neons will eat a freshly molted shrimp, or at least pick the eyes and legs off of them.

If I were dead-set on putting fish with my shrimp, I'd pick something like the micro rasboras available, like boraras briggitae or something like that

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all,
thanks for the advice. all the fish and shrimp have been together for at least 6 months with no issues up to this point. The panda Tetra's had shown aggreshion toward each other but never toward any of the others.
I will look into some of the sugestions and see what I can find local. I have to go to the LFS anyway today, just after I made this thread i found our ghost knife dead behind the aquarium. That was my girls fav fish. so it will have to be replaced.
on a side note the Tetra didnt go after a freshly hatched shrimp, he went after a shrimp that was about the same size as he was. After looking this morning, i cant find the berried shirmp dead so if all goes well then she is somewhere in the Java moss.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you think the knife would fair with a pair of cichlids?

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.