The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Plus one on that^^ Also, try adding your shrimp a few months prior to the discus, so that they can get a really strong foothold in your tank. That way, when a few are inevitably eaten, it won't affect the population too much.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Be prepared for the possibility of them getting mostly wiped out if there's not enough hiding spots and a strong population. Otherwise go for it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have 4 discus, average 12 cms diameter in a 240l tank, well planted. I have a colony of red cherries thriving in the tank.

Luckily, the discus are not snacking any of the cherries, I can even see some shrimps swimming freely between the discus. No fear so far! I'm lucjy with these ones. I remember 2 years ago a "young" discus I introduced in the tank and which taste a dead shrimp. H e might have found it delicious as he then started hunting all shrimps he can see.

He has been banned immediately.

As for the ones I ahve at the moment, I introduced the shrimps at night, all lights off, and everything is pefect: lots of red cherries, 4 nice discus, red noses, cardinalis, otto, nerites and 4 crabs in the tank ^^ ... but infestation if ramshorn :( though, it seems the crabs are wipping a bit the ramshorns...

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have kept shrimp in a tank with clowns and angelfish. If they have good places to hide you are fine. This might sound very weird, but not protecting your filter intake can help ensure you don't lose the whole colony. Baby shrimp get sucked up into the filter, which delivers them food, they grow. You clean your filter less often. Just be sure to empty all of the shrimp out of the filter when you clean it. They die in clean filters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.