The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to get nerite snails for my new planted tank since they're reputed to really get after algae; however, my kh will be 4 or 5, so I don't think they'll do well based on what I've read.

So the question is, what would you recommend to fight algae in a soft water aquarium?

FWIW, I've had Flying Foxes, and while they were very entertaining, they didn't seem to enjoy BBA all that much.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Flying foxes I hear are not that great. You want Siamese Algae Eaters, SAE. I just got a pair in my 33gal. My tank was crazy with algae. Within one day it was basically all gone.

-Matt

·
Registered
203 Posts
True SAEs are sometimes identified incorrectly as flying foxes and vice versa. A good article that helps identify the correct species can be found at http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm#sae. Your real SAE does very well with BBA but I don't ever recall seeing otos eat it. BTW, where in Illinois are you located?

I was looking to get nerite snails for my new planted tank since they're reputed to really get after algae; however, my kh will be 4 or 5, so I don't think they'll do well based on what I've read.

So the question is, what would you recommend to fight algae in a soft water aquarium?

FWIW, I've had Flying Foxes, and while they were very entertaining, they didn't seem to enjoy BBA all that much.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I have Nerite Snails in KH even lower than that, and they're fine.

·
Registered
419 Posts
AZOO magic nano tablet FTW!
kills all algae and doesnt harm inverts plants or fish!
said from experience
Description:
- For freshwater aquariums (Not For Aquatic Plants Aquariums)
- Nano-sized metal with tetrapod-shaped in three dimensions is able to prick algal cells.
- Rapidly and effectively eliminates adherent algae and phytoplankton for long-term use.
- Keeps stable condition of pH valuve and clarifies water color securely.
Specifications:
- One tablet treats 50 liters (13 gallons)
Package Dimensions:
- 3.5″ L x 0.25″ W x 6.0″ H

It says on their website that it's not for planted tanks, but you haven't had any issues using it?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took me a while to get back to this thread. That's good to hear re: nerites. I'll have to do some research to see what types of algae they're interested in. Re: the flying foxes. They were sold as SAEs. I just called them that. I don't have them anymore but remember doing an online analysis of their body coloration, etc. to confirm that they were the real deal. They definitely didn't take care of all BBA, but seeing the tank after they died (I gave it to my brother), I suspect they at least put a dent in it.

Gheitman--I'm in northern illinois now. Oh, for the days when I could call Sailfin my lfs.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have soft water in NY and nerites are a problem to keep in low PH.
Check your GH and see if you want to buffer it a little.
Check reading from the tank and your source after letting it rest 24hrs.
I like to keep Otos and BNs, but I had to stabilize my PH at 6.5
If you want to know more about nerites ask
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/member.php?u=66215
she knows nerites and sells top quality.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts