The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After seeing multiple pictures of different wabis on Google images, I fell in love with them and have decided to create one myself! I will be putting it in a round glass bowl I found at Target. I decided to go with the substrate ball option instead of flat substrate, and I am making with the following components:

Fluval Stratum,
Clay/dirt from the backyard,
Potting soil,
and possibly dead moss I have in the yard (to replace sphagnum peat moss).

Do you guys think it would be good to put Osmocote+ pellets at the center of the ball for extra nutrition?

Here are some pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are the plants I have selected:

Vesicularia dubyana (java moss)
Ludwigia repens
Myriophyllum brasiliensis (red stemmed parrots feather)
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Hydrocotyle sp.
Helanthium tenellum (pygmy chain sword)
Hemianthus callitrichoides (dwarf baby tears)
Riccia fluitans (only a tiny amount)

Pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to cover it with the java moss and tie it on with fishing twine. I might also cover the bottom with the dead moss from my yard since the java can't live under the ball without light. Do you have any suggestions? I am sort of a noob in this area, so any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just finished up the ball! I decided to put the dead moss from the yard on the bottom and the java moss on the top. If all goes well, the ball should be pretty stable (I saw maybe one tiny hole in the moss at the bottom, but it shouldn't cause instability...only time will tell :wink2:). The ball is also fairly large, as you can see in the picture with my hand. Hopefully this won't cause it to flatten out like a pancake!

Here are the pics...getting dirty has never been so fun and worthwhile!

Bump:

Attachments

Reactions: Opare

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just finished up, and I am really happy with the out come. The water in the bowl is still really dirty from the sand and substrate ball, but it should clear up soon.

Also, I have a question: for the first 3 weeks or so while the plastic wrap is still on, how many times daily should I spray it with water?

Attachments

·
Registered
806 Posts
This looks good! Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I was going to suggest using pantyhose to contain the substrate ball. I guess I'm too late for that advice. However this looks pretty good and I'm hoping that this works out!

With that much water in there, you may not even need to spray all that much. You'll be surprised at how humid a small container can get, even in just a few hours. If anything, you might have to air it out more than spraying.

The water should clear up by tomorrow.

I really like the plant selection! Diverse and colorful!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This looks good! Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I was going to suggest using pantyhose to contain the substrate ball. I guess I'm too late for that advice. However this looks pretty good and I'm hoping that this works out!

With that much water in there, you may not even need to spray all that much. You'll be surprised at how humid a small container can get, even in just a few hours. If anything, you might have to air it out more than spraying.

The water should clear up by tomorrow.

I really like the plant selection! Diverse and colorful!
Thanks Bereninga! Sorry I didn't wait for your response...I am kind of impatient when there is aquascaping to do =)! The water has cleared up, and I will send more pics later. I moved the ball to the side of the bowl and placed black rocks in the water, giving it an off-set look that I like. It really makes my Wabi look like a tropical island!

One more thing: do you know how to change the title of a thread? I don't really like the one I have, but I don't have a "technology thumb" like I have a green thumb...:grin2:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are some of the pics where I have the black rocks...what do you guys think? I think the rocks make the scape look more like an island. Do you like the off-centered wabi with the rocks or do you like it just in the middle? If you like the rocks, can you see a better layout than the one I have?

Here are the pics from Day one:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
You could probably leave it open if you drop a small airstone in the water while you need to keep things wet. The spray it produces when the bubbles pop keeps things wet, while you get to keep good airflow and oxygen levels.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
First Wabi Kusa - "Untouched Oasis"

I do like the rocks! Gives it a more zen feel, although maybe space them out bit more, they look a bit strange position wise.
I read online from a scaper that does lots of Wabis, that to help transition the plants you should have aeration sessions without the wrap every day, starting with 30 minutes, then gradually increasing till you can take it off. To be honest, 30 minutes sounds long so maybe start at 15, I'm not sure though.

Edit: Here's the interview in case you are curious: http://aquaristmagazine.com/andras-tundik-wabi-kusa-interview/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do like the rocks! Gives it a more zen feel, although maybe space them out bit more, they look a bit strange position wise.
I read online from a scaper that does lots of Wabis, that to help transition the plants you should have aeration sessions without the wrap every day, starting with 30 minutes, then gradually increasing till you can take it off. To be honest, 30 minutes sounds long so maybe start at 15, I'm not sure though.

Edit: Here's the interview in case you are curious: András Tündik Wabi Kusa Interview | Aquarist Magazine

Opare, Thanks! That is a really helpful interview. It is pretty hard to get good info and tips for such a new phenomenon!

Also, what do you suggest I do with the rock hardscape?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Nice job on this. Way to capture the step by step with some great photos. My favorite is the muddy hands photo. Some people pay big money for mud spa time.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
First Wabi Kusa - "Untouched Oasis"

Yeah, I found the interview after spending a good chunk of time trying to find good information. The scaper has a thread on his wabis on UKAPS as well, but it's lengthy and bit spotty in information. Most of the useful stuff is in the interview.
I can't quite explain what seems off with the rocks. In retrospect they look fine, I guess it's just strange from the top-down view and the angle one of the photos was taken from.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Great start! I will have to second bereninga on his advice with not needing to spray, I found that the humidity created by the plastic wrap was enough and I felt that the transition to emersed growth was hindered by frequent spraying. All in all nice job and in a month or so there should be some real beautiful growth!

Side note I feel that your choice of bowl was great, that will allow for growth in all directions while keeping some humidity in, not to mention it looks nice! In retrospect I wish I had gone with something similar to that on mine. I guess there's always the next one. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Day 7:
Everything is going fairly well, and there is a lot of growth in the Parrot's feather and Ludwigia although some of the parrot's feather's bottom leaves are looking kind of yellow (I may need to get a brighter light or just move the current one closer). Some of the plants are kind of melting (mainly the crypt wendtii and the Hydrocotyle) but I am not sure if it is because they are actually dying or if they are just changing to a terrestrial form...:confused1:. I guess time will tell. Sykith and bereninga, you guys are right. There might be to much humidity in my wabi, and I saw some tiny spots of white hairy mold in some areas. I will probably only spray it once a day after the short period when I leave off the plastic wrap to let the plants get used to the air. The leaves also stick together when it is too humid which could encourage rotting. The Ludwigia grew all the way to the rap and was clumping and pushing into it, so I made a little wire frame thing to hold it up...

Here are the pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have come to a dilemma... The parrots feather and ludwigia are growing so fast that they have reached the plastic wrap again, despite my efforts with the wire thingy that held the plastic almost an inch above them. How should I keep the plants from pressing into the plastic? Would it hurt the plants to trim them at this point? If I just let them grow into the plastic they grow bent, and the plants are damaged.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not 100% but letting them go would probably just cause them to droop and bend.. not the worst thing even if it isn't the most appealing atm. You could always trim later, the bending shouldn't harm them if anything that will let the lower portions get more light At this point I would say those two have transitioned if they're putting on this much growth so you might be safe to trim. Or you could try lowering the light, maybe they're just reaching for the light? Personally I would try lowering the light first and seeing what results that yields, then you might have an idea what they are needing, whether its more light, gas exchange, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.