The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello~
I have just set up a 36 gal long tank for my King Snake. It's pretty low tech right now, but I have plans to improve it once I can save up. It was kind of an emergency set up (rescued the snake from my neighbor's son) turned obsession xD

Right now, I have an LED light screwed into a dome above the tank. I know it's not much, but I only have pothos growing right now and ambient light from my window has kept it happy above his old tank for some time, so I think it should be okay?
The substrate is a mix I made with some sphagnum moss, orchid chips, eco earth, and some organic soil.
I plan on keeping the tank relatively dry (50% humidity?) and was wondering if it would be crazy if I tried to get away without a drainage layer for a while? My little dude likes to burrow, so I figure the substrate gets a bit of air that way? I've also been looking into clean up crews.
Any advice would be awesome!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This site gives a general idea of the care a king snake needs: California Kingsnake Care Sheet

In particular, it gives this passage about humidity: "Provide fresh water in a bowl that is deep enough that when the bowl is half filled and the snake goes in to soak, the water will not overflow into the cage. You want a dry cage. If the humidity increases in the cage to where it looks or feels moist, remove the water and only offer it a couple days a week. Clean the water bowl as needed."

I hope it helps you with your creativity!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response, ValMM :D
I was actually more curious about the necessity of a drainage layer in said dry tank?
I've already decided that I will put a drainage layer in asap, at least to prevent hassle in the long run. I've set up some little closed jar terrariums in the past so I do know it has an important purpose.
Just wanted to know if it's really necessary in this situation or if I can go without it for a week or two until I come across a proper bag of gravel or something to use xD Any tips on a cheap source of drainage layer material would be much appreaciated as well! Haha, budget setup!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
What about poultry grit? A 16oz bag can be about $5 from the tractor supply store. It's made out of things like oyster shells, limestone chips and charcoal. If you're going to put live plants in there, they might like it as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts