The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post her, hope it is in the correct place :icon_roll

Ive been fish keeping for about 10 years now, have been keeping reefs for about 6 years, have just shut down a lovely SPS reef :(

But thought I would have a go at planted as ive never done it before and I think they look lovely.

The tank I have is only a nano its 43L x 27w x 35h so about 40L. I want to keep the tank fairly low tech where im not newbie to fish tanks etc I am to planted.

My plan was to use a 3" caribsea eco complete bed, drift wood and smooth stones. As to plants... not sure yet as still researching and learning, but not to hot on them yet. Filter is just a HOB filter rated to 90L.

Now lighting has been the one thats been throwing me.. Im used to SPS reefs where a massive amount of light is needed... Ive read the more light you throw at a planted tank the "high tech" it becomes so you need c02 etc... dont fancy that just yet. I was going for the the Super fish 18w light as it seems to fit the needs. Is that ok to keep it low tech???

As for ferts was going to use seachem flourish excel as per the bottle.. do i need anyhing else other than a 20% water change each week? How am I doing so far? Thank you for any help.
Dave

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
The answers to your questions depends on what types of plants you want to grow and what do you want your tank to look like. If you want to keep it low tech your set up should be fine. I've grown plants in plain gravel, but that also depends on the plants you put in. Aquasoil is the standard right now as far as ready to go substrates. There is also the mineralized substrate, dirt, sand, peat layers....lots of different options for substrate.

Do you want a carpet? What kind of carpet?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The answers to your questions depends on what types of plants you want to grow and what do you want your tank to look like. If you want to keep it low tech your set up should be fine. I've grown plants in plain gravel, but that also depends on the plants you put in. Aquasoil is the standard right now as far as ready to go substrates. There is also the mineralized substrate, dirt, sand, peat layers....lots of different options for substrate.

Do you want a carpet? What kind of carpet?
Thanks for that, will check out the aqua soil you mentioned. Is that better than the Eco complete as an all in one solution. As for the plants and carpet Im open to suggestions as I really don't know much about them. Are there any easy ones to start with, any I shoould avoid? Think the only ones I remember from my tropical days are java fern, swords, Anubias. I do like the look of a carpet though.

Is my lighting ok? I was looking at using pacific LED 6500k bulb. Think the one I'd seen was 22w. But I like the look of the superfish one.

Will have a look at the flourish comprehensive as well - thank you.

·
Registered
537 Posts
For substraye go with turface aka haydite ... It looks natural. You wont regret it.

Eveything ele like others have said depends upon what you are driving for.

Can you copy some picturs of other tanks that you would like to replicate ... That's where many get started, trying to copy the style of others' works. In fact, that is how many musicians got started.

Use others' work as a spring board for your own.

Happy tanking,

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Wes, there are loads of tanks I really like the look of.. So many nice tanks out there.
I want to keep it as simple as possible, for the simple reason I just broke down my big SPS tank that was very complex to run. I closed that as all the "faffing" as my other half calls it was getting a bit much and taking the enjoyment out of it. So want to keep it simple. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want to keep it simple, stick with low light and low light plants. Java Fern, Anubias varieties, crypts, java moss will all do well in low tech scenarios.

The carpet will be tricky but its doable.
Thank you for that, how about flow? Do you think there will be enough flow out of the hob filter, it's a 500lph out put.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Thank you for that, how about flow? Do you think there will be enough flow out of the hob filter, it's a 500lph out put.
not much help on that one, sorry.

If it was me I would set it up like it is and if I find its not enough upgrade to a bigger HOB or add a power head.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
not much help on that one, sorry.

If it was me I would set it up like it is and if I find its not enough upgrade to a bigger HOB or add a power head.
The filter itself is rated to 90l so plenty big enough, I've binned the media and gone for my own combo of ceramics, sponge and floss wool. Will see how it goes and if it looks like it needs a bit more flow will add a pico power head.

Ordered my light, substrate, sumartrian drift wood and attractive natural pebbles. Will give it a scape and see what I can come up with. The tanks going to have at least 3 weeks to fishless cycle before any fish or plants go in as I'm away in Sharm diving in the red sea on holiday :)

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The filter itself is rated to 90l so plenty big enough, I've binned the media and gone for my own combo of ceramics, sponge and floss wool. Will see how it goes and if it looks like it needs a bit more flow will add a pico power head.

Ordered my light, substrate, sumartrian drift wood and attractive natural pebbles. Will give it a scape and see what I can come up with. The tanks going to have at least 3 weeks to fishless cycle before any fish or plants go in as I'm away in Sharm diving in the red sea on holiday :)
sounds like fun, will be looking forward to pictures of the tank when you return

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any thoughts? Good, bad, other? Im dosing 1mm of excel daily and 2mm flourish weekly. Not sure if the one light is enough, may up it to 2 x 18w Im not sure if the single 18w is enough, what do you think?

The bed is 3 inch deep and is a full bag of caribsea echo complete and ive mixed that with a bag of pond gravel I had that is made for pond bedding plants. Forgot to add, I also made my own canister filter, which is working really well. Its well over rated for the tank but that can only be a good thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.