The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When getting my 75 gal set up after my move, I'm thinking of hard plumbing the canister.

Please advise me off do's and dont's.

Give me feed back on my initial layout.

Valved intake on top left. Check valve in the lower loop to prevent back siphon.

Hose port on the bottom loop to auto siphon a water change, and then close the valve and fill via filter, heater, reactor, spray bar.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hello!
The basics of aquarium hard plumbing, as I understand and follow are...

1. Avoid 90 degree elbows as much as possible, use 2 x 45 degrees instead. This is especially important for canisters which do not have much head pressure as sump return pumps do. Canisters work in a closed loop.

2. Ball valves are restrictive, upsize by one

3. Use good quality valves, generic valves from big box stores become hard to turn as time goes by. Unionized ball valves are nice

4. Assume all check valves will eventually fail. Have a backup plan.

5. Use unions liberally.

By the way, I'm having a hard time understanding your setup. Maybe the photo is not the right way up?

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
484 Posts
I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish with your plumbing either? It seems way overly complex for a simple intake circuit.

I will second the "never depend on a check valve to function properly" advice! Over time they get dirty and stop functioning properly!

Excessive use of 90 elbows should be avoided... but I have never been able to hard plumb anything without using at least some 90s.

Why to you want to hard plumb a canister filters instead of just using the supplied tubing?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.