The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! This is my first time owning any kind of aquatic life and I bought a 6 gallon planted tank about a month ago. For now, I have some basic plants and decor as well as a nerite snail. I’m planning to later add some cherry shrimp + java moss and then a male betta. I guess I’m looking for any kind of advice anyone can give on aquascaping/fish care. I do a water change about every week and leave an aqueon planted tank light for 8 hours a day. I’m not too sure on my plant arrangement and stocking since I’m new to this, so if there’s any way I can make my tank better, do share!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Great start, and I applaud your patience with waiting on stocking! If you can, allow your plants to grow in a bit more and/or add more plants before adding shrimp, Allow them to get comfortable and established before adding a betta. That way, if he has more of a predatory personality, they will have more of a chance to avoid getting eaten (if that becomes an issue). A nice portion of java moss will give the shrimp more security, and also provide a lot of surface area for biofilm

Reactions: Plinkploop

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
404 Posts
Looks good. I agree with Griznatch and what they said. I just wanted to add that that front right plant looks to be an anubias. If it is, they tend to also like and sometimes prefer to be attached to something like one of those rocks or driftwood is also common. The roots will grow out into the water so if you don't like that idea it should do just fine with that gravel and the way you have it. But if you never knew, you'd never have the option. Look it up, you seem to have time allotted for this. I very much second the keeping livestock out until the plants have taken, maybe even after another round of those stem plants if you want that. You can let them grow, cut the tops off and replant the tops. Again, they will need to root all over, so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Word of warning. That nerite is definitely going to go walkies without a lid. You will find it in the middle of the room in no time. :oops:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts