The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I’ve been learning so much as a guest just reading in this forum, but I’ve finally gone and gotten fish this year.

I grew up with fish tanks, but this is my first foray into the hobby as an adult. My tank is a 20 gallon long freshwater tank. It’s currently stocked with 10 corydoras hasbrosus and 1 clown pleco, plus some bladder snails. Plants are anubias nana, Amazon frogbit, broad leaf chilensis, Java moss, and Madagascar lace leaf. I have a sand substrate, with mopani driftwood.
Things are going less smoothly than I’d like- my cories developed some sort of illness and started flashing two weeks in. I’ve started them prasipro. And I noticed today their barbels had eroded 😢. I’m not sure if that had started during whatever was causing the flashing (which has subsided luckily) though. So I could certainly use some advice on how to help them out, give them the best chance of recovery, and how to make sure my substrate is pristine. I’ve been feeding them a rotation of hikari sinking bug bites, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and freeze dried bloodworms.
Water parameters are:
Ph 7.6
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate-0
Gh 8
Kh-4
Temp: 76 F

idk why my nitrates have stayed at 0 for so long, but I think it might be a lack of nutrients. I’ve had some hair algae issues. The tank and plants have been running for about 5 months (I got a cancer diagnosis a week before buying fish, which threw all my schedules off), and the cories and pleco have been here around a month.
I’m very excited to join and learn with you all!

· Administrator
18,180 Posts
First, welcome to the forum and good luck on the health front. Life loves to throw obstacles.

my cories developed some sort of illness and started flashing two weeks in. I’ve started them prasipro. And I noticed today their barbels had eroded
How did you cycle the tank? Did you provide an ammonia source on a daily basis to keep bacterial colonies alive until you added livestock?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the fish food method that someone told me about, and just tracked ammonia. Idk if it was the best method in hindsight, but my ammonia has never been anything but 0 since I got my fish so hopefully it worked 🤞🏻

And thank you for the welcome and warm wishes!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts