The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! So this is my first time doing a planted tank so looking to see if I'm doing things right.

Tank Stats:
10 gallon tank
Marineland Penguin 75 filter
NICREW Classic LED, Full Spectrum 15 Watts
KASANMU Aquarium Heater 100W
CaribSea Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate

So the tank was first put together with the water and plants in it on 11/22/2021 and there are not yet fish in it. I've been running the tank with the lights on max and switching modes (to the blue light mode) at night giving them about 12 hrs of white light a day.

Since then the plants have gotten a bit browner more notably in the Vallisernia and Water Sprite.
Plant Botany Leaf Terrestrial plant Sunlight
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Flowering plant Grass family
Flower Plant Petal Terrestrial plant Grass
Leaf Plant Sunlight Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable
Plant Houseplant Fines herbes Flowering plant Annual plant

I tested the values of the tank today as well and this is what I got
Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: 1.5 ppm
Nitrite: 0.5 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm

So with the Ph, as I understand it's high because the plants want more Co2 so I did a 1/3rd water change today and I'll check the stats again in a couple of days to see where it's at then. In addition from what I saw in another forum post talking about browning plants, it said the lights might be too intense for the size of the tank so I turned the light down two clicks to see if that changes things. I might be wrong but I think the plants should be alright with fertilizer because of my choice of the substrate so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on there.

However with that said there is only a small spec of algae in the tank, which is good, but I also think could mean that fertilizer could be on the lower end.

Looking forward to seeing what y'all say and Happy Thanksgiving!!

- Joey

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
It's a new tank and it's common for new plants to appear to die/melt. They usually recover and your substrate should provide sufficient nutrients, initially. Allow it to finish cycling, add the fish, cut your photoperiod to 6 hours a day (you can increase again once stable) and wait a few weeks.

I don't quite understand your CO2 comment. I don't believe that you are adding CO2 ...right? If not, you can't increase CO2 by doing water changes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts