The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is the hood that came with the 10 gal Aquareon kit I received as a gift. I plan to plant the tank with low-light plants and I figured the easiest upgrade to getting stronger lighting is the bulb. Unfortunately, Aquareon does not want me to know anything about this bulb/hood setup :icon_eek: - they don't tell me bulb type, wattage, or anything. That and the light is sealed in the hood by glass and sealer. I have a heat gun and was thinking I could heat up the resin and remove the glass cover and expose the bulb to change it if I knew what type of bulb I was looking to replace it with.

Can anyone identify this type of bulb? Is it a standard size? Would it be less work and trouble to get a new hood and light setup that's more efficient? Thanks!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you can find a bulb of the right length, 18 inches, I assume, I would just replace the bulb. I find it hard to believe that the cover glass is sealed in place. Those bulbs are only good for a year or so, so it has to be possible to replace them. One T8 bulb is good light for a 10 gallon tank, unless you are using CO2, and it is pretty good with CO2 too.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can find a bulb of the right length, 18 inches, I assume, I would just replace the bulb. I find it hard to believe that the cover glass is sealed in place. Those bulbs are only good for a year or so, so it has to be possible to replace them. One T8 bulb is good light for a 10 gallon tank, unless you are using CO2, and it is pretty good with CO2 too.
It's true. The cover glass is sealed in place with the same sealant holding all the sides of the tank itself together. Thanks Aqueon...

With one T8 bulb (assuming I replaced it with a top quality bulb) how many WPG could I achieve?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I assume the kit came with a NO bulb then - would it be worth the effort and money to switch to a HO or VHO bulb?
It isn't the bulb that makes it HO or VHO, as much as it is the ballast. For a 10 gallon tank, that single T8 bulb should give you low light, or posssibly low medium light. Without CO2 that's all the light you can easily use.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It isn't the bulb that makes it HO or VHO, as much as it is the ballast. For a 10 gallon tank, that single T8 bulb should give you low light, or posssibly low medium light. Without CO2 that's all the light you can easily use.
Ahhh I see...well, I'm going to be using Flourish and Flourish Excel...is that going to be enough CO2 supplement to warrant a stronger bulb/ballast?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.