The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just setting up my first planted tank and bought the Fluval Flora kit. This is what my tank looked like after filling having rinsed the Fluval Stratum!

Three days later it's settled a bit but any disturbance picks up a lot of dust. The filter is also making an awful whirring noise. I'm not off to a great start.

Any tips on whether I should re-rinse the substrate or try a different brand?

·
Registered
138 Posts
No that's what the stuff does. I have it in multiple tanks. It usually goes away but no offense to fluval but that filter is garbage. I run a Eheim 2213 on my 7.5 gallon cube. I would recommend a better filter and should be fine! Haha

·
Registered
11,717 Posts
You can rinse it again in the tank. Drain what is there, stirring the substrate to make as much mess as possible.
Then start draining. Pull the substrate away from a corner and stick the siphon in that corner. This will pull out more of the fines that are clouding the water.
Partially refill, deliberately splashing in the water to make more mess, and drain again.
You may want to repeat until the water is draining a lot clearer.

The last fill, do this way:
Put a plate or plastic bag over the substrate and run the water in very slowly, allowing it to seep over the edges of the bag.

Do you have the hardscape materials? Driftwood, rock...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I run some filter floss for about 24-48 hours, and that about clears it up. I also rinsed mine gently but thoroughly in a large wire sieve.

1 day later

24 hours after a large water change (to rescape) which involved an addition of more stratum, and a rinse and repeat on the floss.

And now

From the end

Not bad. Flourite red was worse!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.