The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

I have been creeping around the forums now for quite awhile... really ever since My husband and I set up our first 5 gallon betta tank and I have been dreaming of more ever since. Finally my husband caved and we went for a larger set-up. I thought this was an appropriate time to register to the site and take advantage of some of the wonderful insight on this forum.

We had previously been looking for our best kit option but finally settled on taking the leap and putting things together ourselves. I would really like to go low tech planted as I have no experience with CO2 and not yet ready to delve into that (maybe in the future but not for starters). Currently we have collected a marineland 29 gallon tank, Fluval U3 internal filter, heater, eco complete substrate and some carib sea sand I plan to layer on top. What we are stuck on is lighting... I'm not great with DIY and my husband doesn't have the time right now to make something for me so we have been looking at lighting fixtures that might do the trick and will be affordable for us (think <$150). I had been reading into the finnex fugeray lighting and it seems like a decent solution but not easily available in Canada. I found a listing for a 30" finnex planted+ on Amazon that will ship here for $111 after tax and duty, what is everyone thoughts on that? Is that a decent option, anyone have experience with this light, any affordable alternatives?

I would greatly appreciate any advice on this topic. Also, any input on what else may be beneficial to this set up would be great. I read the sticky on setting up a new tank and it was super informative and I am eager to get my fishless cycle going! :icon_surp

Thanks Everyone!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Planted plus will be great for a 29. Youll have low/medium light. I have a ray2 and planted+ on my 29.

I would highly recommend going pressurized co2. Its not difficult like everyone makes it seem like. Its just more money. Itll cost around $150 for a setup

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can start the fishless cycle without waiting on the lights. Just make sure the tank is where you want it. LOL - had to drain and scoot mine over a bit.

I'm using a Current USA Satellite + on my 29 gallon. Just starting with plants, but read good reviews. I'm aiming for low light plants. Trying to get to low maintenance also...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response on the Planted plus...it looks like a decent option. Still probably going to have to veer away from co2 at the moment as I don't see the husband approving the additional cost after purchasing a light...maybe down the road though.

@RUNuts: You will have to let me know what you think of the Current USA. I was looking at that one as well just seen mixed responses as to whether or not it would provide enough light. I will probably start my cycle without the light...was hoping to move some plants from some other tanks though that are getting destroyed by my rabbit snails. Don't really want to move them until I have lighting but would like to move them before the snails do much more damage.

Bump: On a side note... where is the best/most cost efficient place to pick up ammonia for cycling? And how to I make sure it has nothing else in it that will cause an issue when I eventually move fish into the tank?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Planted plus will be great for a 29. Youll have low/medium light. I have a ray2 and planted+ on my 29.

I would highly recommend going pressurized co2. Its not difficult like everyone makes it seem like. Its just more money. Itll cost around $150 for a setup
SCX,

Can you recommend a CO2 set up? I'm in exactly the position of the OP; don't want to mess with it, but if it's not as difficult as some make it sound, I might change my mind.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
148 Posts
SCX,

Can you recommend a CO2 set up? I'm in exactly the position of the OP; don't want to mess with it, but if it's not as difficult as some make it sound, I might change my mind.

Regards,
Bill
Try to find a 5 to 20lb tank on craigslist. It should run you around $80 filled and hydro. I bought my regulator brand new on amazon for about $80-100. It is the aquatek premium with cooltouch solenoid. Its been great and im using a triple output with atomic diffusers. Make sure to use pvc tubing for the diffusers. I can sell you some if you need.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Bump: On a side note... where is the best/most cost efficient place to pick up ammonia for cycling? And how to I make sure it has nothing else in it that will cause an issue when I eventually move fish into the tank?
Ace hardware ammonia has been tested by a lot of members and doesn't have surfactants in it. If it foams/bubbles at all when you shake it move on. I had a difficult time finding ammonia without surfactants in it, so I went to Ace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think we have any Ace hardware stores here. I have checked a few other hardware stores in the area and no luck. Any other suggestions of where I might be able to find it.. or any alternatives to the ammonia to help cycle the tank?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.