The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening Folks,

So its been 10yrs since Ive had any tanks and things have come a long way , and after reading thought the site i decided the 200l ( sorry I'm a kiwi ) sitting in my garage is just to big right now so found some glass in the back of my garage and made a small tank 60cm x 30cm x 30cm ( 24" x 12" x 12" ? ).
Prob a bit small to start with from what Ive read for a first tank , ill post a pic tomorrow :icon_bigg

I'm yet to pick plants ( no co2 just ferts) as i cant decide on a filter , i was thinking of a Eheim 2213 but would like some ideas on what experienced people here recommend ? it needs to sit beside the tank but i don't want internal if it can be helped ?

Live stock will be 5-6 rummy nose tetra and a pair of Bolivian Ram's as i like balanced tanks not over stocked messes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

P.S love your tanks

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
there are a number of reasonably priced canisters on the market right now.
A few are
SunSun, Rena XP models, Penn Plax Cascade, API nexx

For lighting if you want to stick with no CO2 just ferts, you are going to want low light. One option you might want to look at is using worklights with metal reflectors with screw in Compact Fluorescent Bulbs (example in my 40 gallon thread link in my sig).

I would recommend 2 worklights with 13 watt, 6500K bulbs that should put you around 1.8 watts per gallon

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Most canisters need to sit UNDER a tank, not beside it. Otherwise the pressures don't work as designed and can interfere with proper functioning and cause stress on the motor over time.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Most canisters need to sit UNDER a tank, not beside it. Otherwise the pressures don't work as designed and can interfere with proper functioning and cause stress on the motor over time.
what if the canister is beside the stand the tank sits on? thus lower than the tank, but also technically beside the tank

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
there are a number of reasonably priced canisters on the market right now.
A few are
SunSun, Rena XP models, Penn Plax Cascade, API nexx

A lot love the Sunsun, it is the route I would go. On the flip side I am running 2 PennPlax 1000 on my 75gal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lauraleellbp , JasonG75 :

Thanks for all the info , Guess Im prob best to pop a Fluval U2 on a Eheim pickup in the tank instead and save my $$ for a good size canister for the big tank. Not ideally what i wanted to do but certainly the easiest.

Problem is Ive heard bad things and good things on both so ill just take a punt and learn for my self :bounce:

Thanks again

kamikazi : Thanks for the light info it guessed between 6500-7500lm but wasn't sure on wattage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cannister filter location

As long as the top of the cannister filter is below the tank water level, the location of the filter really shouldn't matter.

Its a closed system. The lower the filter the higher the pressure of water going into the system, and the harder it is to pump that water back up. These two values basically wash each other out.

You set it lower and the gravity pressure of water going in helps the pump by the same amount as the height it was pump up hurts.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
As long as the top of the cannister filter is below the tank water level, the location of the filter really shouldn't matter.

Its a closed system. The lower the filter the higher the pressure of water going into the system, and the harder it is to pump that water back up. These two values basically wash each other out.

You set it lower and the gravity pressure of water going in helps the pump by the same amount as the height it was pump up hurts.
This isn't true. The only head the pump has to overcome is the inch or so of return pipe that is above the height of the tank, and then only if it is above the height of the inlet pipe loop over the tank. We have this discussion here every few months. Canister filter pumps move water well, but generate very little head, which is why putting stuff in the filter return line can drop the flow rate far more than you would expect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.