The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was gifted a tank, and after looking at different fish and what people are doing these days, I decided to try a planted tank, or at least a tank with a lot of plants.

The tank is a what I think they call a 60G showcase, anyway it is narrow. Probably not ideal for this type of tank. 4'x2'x1', only 1 foot wide(front to back).

If I can't get the hang of this, maybe I'll just get some Oscars and call it good.

After reading about the dirted tank I got intrigued, so I am trying that. Dug up some dirt from the garden, ran it through a kitchen strainer.
The dirt had a lot of loam, and sand in it. After going throw the screen and getting "washed" it really reminds me of the dirt at the bottom or shore of a pond, so thats good.

After sitting in a bucket for a week now, it is not smelly, so that's good too, at least no anaerobic behavior going on yet. I'm just guessing here, I really don't know if either of those are good things or not. Just following my nose.

I finally got to drill the tank today. I wanted to drill it before I started building the hardscape and planting plants. I'm not sure if I will actually go with a full sump, or just use a canister. I already have the canister that I got with the tank. Probably just use a canister for awhile.

I put in a small overflow box, and dual bullkheads. Plugged them for now. I got some scrap pieces of acyrlic for $2 and glued the box together. Silicone job is pretty sloppy, would have been easier from the small tube, instead of a caulking gun. Cuts were sloppy on the box too, maybe I'll redo it down the road.

I also drilled a return line. Put it on the end near the overflow.
I really didn't want them on the back, and maybe I can get some circular flow going on in there. I hope that the narrowness of the tank doesn't ruin my plan.

I have a few pics from the construction..

Feel free to give me advice.

J

Washed soil, I squeezed some more water out after this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dirt Down

I put my dirt in about a week ago. An 1-1.5". I got as much water out of it before I put it in and packed it pretty good on the bottom.
I covered it in a bunch of Flourite and what I think is Black Diamond blasting or whatever. I bought it at the LFS it was labeled as black sand, and cheap.

A few pick s of the dirt going down.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Use a paintbrush, it is much neater and less grimy on the hands.
Enjoy the new tank, it provides a few challenges as well as opportunities being this shape.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.