The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I decided enough is enough. I was tired of buying shrimp occasionally only to watch them die within hours, or days, or maybe weeks (if I'm lucky). So, here's my first attempt at a shrimp-only tank. I'll probably make mistakes, but hopefully someone else will learn from it as I know I will.
For starters, I took a brand new 25g tank (12x24x20) that I bought a while back and used the same equipment from the 20H that I tore down, including the stand and light enclosure. I also attached women's panty hose to the intake pipe on the Eheim, so I don't suck any babies up. The equipment consists of:

Eheim 2222
Via Aqua probe heater (75w I think)
an old Aquaclear powerhead (for added water movement)
55w PC 5500k
1/2-1" ADA AS
assorted rocks, wood, java fern, anubias ...some xmas and weeping moss coming in the mail.

I dose Fluorish excel when I think about it.
The light is on for ~8 hrs/day
I do a wc every 1-2 weeks.

(This is a very low tech tank, unless you can't already tell :)

***Shrimp arrived today! There are about 20 small cherry red shrimp and a few ramshorn snails.

I did a 25-30% wc, tested the water(after!) and this is what I found:
ph = 6.8-7.0
Kh = 3
Gh - 2-3
NH3 = 0
No2 ~ 0.5 ppm
No3 ~ 40 ppm

I know, I know! The tank has been running for ~ 2 weeks with the AS, but apparently it hasn't quite finished cycling. I haven't done a wc for about two weeks as there were no fish to kill. Well, I did a 20% wc again and will do another one in a day or two.
Right now, I need to deal with acclimating the shrimp. I will do it a little longer than I normally would, so ~ 1 hr, maybe a tad longer. I don't want to stress them out any more than they already will be.

That's it - wish me luck! I'll post a picture or two later.

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pictures added

Here's a pic of the tank after the shrimp were added. It looks like a joke right now, but hopefully the plants will grow in and I'll be adding some moss soon as well. I may add a background too if I feel it needs it.

Here are a few shots (sorry for the blurriness - I'm still learning the zoom feature on this camera).

A couple of closer shots

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Careful with that powerhead! though it won't chop them up since you have it covered but they usually push high GPH and it would suck the shrimp and keep them stuck to the hosiery.

Looks like a good start though! Plan to add some moss or foreground? The more stuff that collects debris the more food there will be for the shrimp to dine on!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Careful with that powerhead! though it won't chop them up since you have it covered but they usually push high GPH and it would suck the shrimp and keep them stuck to the hosiery.

Looks like a good start though! Plan to add some moss or foreground? The more stuff that collects debris the more food there will be for the shrimp to dine on!
I agree, you should be able to get a sponge to attach to it.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I'll be getting some xmas moss and weeping moss in the next day or two (in the mail).
As for the powerhead, the thing is so old that I'm not sure I'd be able to find a sponge for it (aquaclear 60 ph). I don't think they even make this model anymore. The good news is, there is a lever that allows you to adjust the flow a little bit.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
If it's still powerful, get an AquaClear HOB sponge, make a slit in the middle of it, and just stick the powerhead intake into the sponge. I've had quite a few shrimp deaths via powerheads/impellers making minced shrimp. :(

Good start so far, Ryan. If you really want them to breed, bump up the temperature to 78-79*F.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'll bump the temp up a tad. I was used to, in the past, to keeping my tank temps set relatively cool (72-74) and then the room temp or heat from 2x55w would heat it up. This only has 1x55w and our house thermostat is set at 66 (its been colder than that outside, but saving heating $$).
The powerhead isn't that powerful, but I guess better safe than sorry. I'm not going to order a sponge for it, as the shipping would make the purchase more than I'd be willing to pay. The LFS would probably want too much, but next time I buy stuff online, I'll order one.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ryan, you're going to love having a shrimp tank!

I agree, your mosses are going to be a big help to them. I'd also go with a black background or at least a dark one. The babies are so incredibly tiny in those first few days that the darker background will make it a bit easier to find them. Mine are constantly attached to the glass, so it helps to see them when I'm cleaning it.

While you're adding plants, maybe consider a few small stemmed type of plants. Mine love to hang on rotala and hygro, as well as burrow deep into the mosses and on the wood.

I can't wait to see how it comes along. Before you know it, you'll be inundated with tiny babies.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I'll pick up a black background this weekend to hide the junk behind the tank. I always like black backgrounds as it tends to create more focus on what's IN the tank.
As for adding a stem plant, I have a few I could bring over from my 90g. Not sure what would do well with only 55w of light and fluorish excel as the only Co2 source. I have another 55w I could add, but that would be getting a little high I think.
I could bring over rotala rotundifolia, rotala sp. 'green', hydrocotyle leucocephala, hygro polysperma, myriophyllum mattogrossense...or perhaps a lobelia cardinalis plant. Not sure if any of them will do well in this tank, but I guess its worth a try. I'm not dosing anything but the excel. Also, the substrate bed is only 1/2-1" deep.

Boz - let's hope you're right about lots of shrimp babies! I'd much prefer those to a mess of corpses :eek:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ryan, they also really like algae, but I'm sure you don't want a mess of it in your tank. A neighbor of mine breeds them and is always asking for people's thread algae. They love the stuff! You might want to put a few rocks in a sunny window to grow some. You'll find tiny babies on it all the time!

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I used a desk lamp to shine light on the side of the tank to grow some algae on the walls. The baby shrimp love it. The bigger ones go for the pellet food I put in. :)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I put some bottom feeder wafers in there last night (shrimp flavored I think) and some algae wafers. They all had shrimp on them that were busily eating. As for algae, I have a little bit of hair/BBA algae in my main tank, so I'll put it in here instead of throwing it away (which is my natural reaction) :icon_lol:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yeah, I put some bottom feeder wafers in there last night (shrimp flavored I think) and some algae wafers. They all had shrimp on them that were busily eating. As for algae, I have a little bit of hair/BBA algae in my main tank, so I'll put it in here instead of throwing it away (which is my natural reaction) :icon_lol:
Well actually I think they don't eat BBA and it is quite invasive so I would really not put it in the tank on purpose. I had some BBA on one rock in my tank but I boiled the rock to kill the algae.:icon_wink

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm, yeah. I seem to remember now that siamensis(SAE) are the ones that will eat BBA. Anyway, I have a question -- Do most of you have a custom-made gravel siphon for your shrimp tanks? I'm thinking that I should attach some sort of screen "filter" to the opening of my siphon tube. A screen that would be large enough to allow some particulate matter to escape, but not large enough to let the shrimp go bye bye. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Hmm, yeah. I seem to remember now that siamensis(SAE) are the ones that will eat BBA. Anyway, I have a question -- Do most of you have a custom-made gravel siphon for your shrimp tanks? I'm thinking that I should attach some sort of screen "filter" to the opening of my siphon tube. A screen that would be large enough to allow some particulate matter to escape, but not large enough to let the shrimp go bye bye. Any thoughts?
You worry too much. Just watch the tank while you're doing maitnence and keep the siphon away from the shrimp... They're a bit stronger than they look ;)

You could also always use a cup or jug.

I agree on not adding BBA they don't eat much of it. Thread algea on the other hand they do go nuts for!!! I grow mine on top of my hob filter:hihi:

-Andrew

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yay!! I'm looking at two very red cherry shrimp placing eggs in the substrate right now. I think I remember seeing three or four shrimp that had a nice red color -- apparently females. Ther other cherrys are a little smaller and more of a transparent/clear color with a hint of red.
Doesn't it take a couple weeks or so for the shrimp to hatch? I'm so excited as this is the first time I've seen them do this.
Do you think snails will eat the eggs? I have quite a few pond snails and ramshorns in there right now. I'm thinking I should just remove as many as I can. Too bad loaches eat shrimp. I just bought a couple clown loaches for my 90g yesterday to help take care of a snail problem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yay!! I'm looking at two very red cherry shrimp placing eggs in the substrate right now..
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but they only "place" the eggs in the substrate when they're dropping them. They normally carry them until they hatch:icon_frow .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts