The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
This christmas, I am going to be getting an ADA setup

Until this point, my "scapes" have been a hodge podge of rocks and plants. None with any real planning. I will be getting an ADA Mini-S, and the famed 27 watt homedepot light, pressurized Co2, an Aquasoil for substrate.

For my first serious scape, I cant decide wether or not to try an iguwami scape, or a dutch scape with driftwood, and alot of stem plants. At this point in time, I am leaning towards iguwami, but am afraid I will eventually get bored with it
. But am also afraid i wont be able to pull off a good dutch tank.

With my lack of experience, and the equipment I will be getting, what do you suggest? Also, what are the pro's and con's of each?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
do you like stem plants? there's a lot more trimming and maintanance involved.

i personally like the iwagumi setups. i find them to be much more... (i dont know if this is the right word to use here)... dynamic. much more of a powerfull look. and will give much more of a presence to some fish (just a couple though imo)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the though, I have never really dealt with stem plants where regular trimming was neccessary, but am not totally against it. The only thing stopping me from doing an iwagumi setup, is I am afraid the scape will become boring to me :/

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Since you've admitted yourself that you have a lack of experience, I recommend against an Iwagumi setup. They are a lot more finicky than a dutch style. I highly suggest you go with a dutch setup.

I know it seems like the iwagumi would be easy while the dutch would be difficult... but it's the other way around.

FWIW.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I am also incredibly critical, I have grown things such as glosso, and attempted HC :/ but i think I'll have better luck with a decent setup :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts