The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done building my first regulator, i had a few questions.

How tight should the fittings be? I put teflon on all fittings and then snugged them up, a few had to be pretty tight to be clocked correctly.

I basically did a modified Diyco2regulator kit, I bought everything nickel plated just for aesthetics. The regulator is an AIRGAS Y12-215D Dual stage regulator.

Id like to thank kevmo911 for the advice!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey man, your regulator looks great! To answer your question, brass is a soft metal, so you definitely want to be on the conservative side when tightening the fittings. If you didn't strip/ break anything, I would just leave it as is though. Anyway, I am getting ready to build one myself using a similar regulator. I basically plan on copying everything you did. I am just unsure of the exact needle valve I will go with. Please keep us posted on the process!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey man, your regulator looks great! To answer your question, brass is a soft metal, so you definitely want to be on the conservative side when tightening the fittings. If you didn't strip/ break anything, I would just leave it as is though. Anyway, I am getting ready to build one myself using a similar regulator. I basically plan on copying everything you did. I am just unsure of the exact needle valve I will go with. Please keep us posted on the process!
I was up in the air on what needle valve to go with too, but i bought a JBJ style bubble counter and wanted a 90* one. From what i read Ideal is the one to get if not then just get a fabco, so thats what i did. I think i spent $120 on the fittings, needle valve, solonoid, cga 320 and then $55 shipped for the brand new y12-215D ,

we will see how it performs.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
How tight is tight enough? Always a good question but sometimes it isn't easy to say. It definitely needs to be less that stripping but then it also needs to face the right direction and be tight enough to not work loose if you bump it. It gets easier after doing a bunch of fittings but hard to get the feel on the first go.

For first times on a fitting I've not used much of, I go with turning it finger tight and then go maybe a half turn more. But I also stop when it begins to squeak as I turn it. That seems to be about when it is ready to strip but I don't really have a firm answer. To get the direction right and as snug as I want, I have backed it off and added more or less tape.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
If you use just dope or just tape it should be hand tight and quarter turn, now that is in a perfect world. Since we don't live in a perfect world the fittings don't always get machined properly and can be too loose or too tight.

So my advice would be use the industry standard and then keep going till it's in the position you need it, but try not to back it off and always test your connections

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts