The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had berried Red Cherry Shrimp in two different tanks (one with fire reds I got online and one with cherries I got at a LFS) and they both had females that had berried at right around the same time (which was about a month ago).

I had anxiously awaited the first births until I sort of lost track of time. Last night I tossed a new Indian Almond leaf into one tank and promptly saw a juvenile shrimp significantly smaller than any that I have purchased climb onto it.

Tonight I started looking closely and both tanks have babies - some of them not so small.

Everyone talks about Red Cherry Shrimp breeding like crazy but until they actually get started it can be hard to be patient. :)

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you buy them, they will come. :) Grats! Soon you'll be wondering what to do with all the extras.
That is one problem that I don't anticipate for quite a while.

I have two 'shrimp bowls' that currently lack shrimp, a community tank that I maintain for my mother that will likely require its own breeding population or constant resupply (yo-yo loaches) and a few people that I want to introduce to dwarf freshwater shrimp but am unwilling to risk the $5 a pop that LFS charge for them.

It is the constantly expanding variety of shrimp (which require individual tanks to avoid cross-breeding) that I anticipate giving me a hard time. I probably need to re-home my plain tiger shrimp so they will breed and I still really want to add OEBT and yellow cherries at some point.

Shrimp keeping is definitely more addictive than regular freshwater fish keeping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.