The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!
Here is my tank - before any fish have been added. Actually a few were added that promptly died. Then a few more were added after a week and they promptly died. However, now, a month and a half after setting up the tank, it's able to sustain fish. My water tests fine for ammonia and nitrates, but had a little bit of ammonia for the first month, and I'm at loss as to why it's a serial killer of fish. Seems better now, though, even the water looks better.

Anyway, here it is:

Capslock

·
Registered
676 Posts
Nice, looks like someone made a trip to Aquaforest. Looks like the 60cm model to me.

What kind of lighting are you using?

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
That's no fair! I want to live near AquaForest!!!

I saw your tank and immediately checked your location. It seems like the guys from California have a distinct advantage - even the newbies tanks come out looking gorgeous! You've done a fine job!

·
Registered
257 Posts
That's no fair! I want to live near AquaForest!!!

I saw your tank and immediately checked your location. It seems like the guys from California have a distinct advantage - even the newbies tanks come out looking gorgeous! You've done a fine job!
Yes It's good to be within walking distance.

Great scape, much better than most first tanks..

·
Registered
253 Posts
That's pretty good for your first tank. I like the wood placement and the transition between the sand and the AS. What type of stem do you have growing in the left corner of your tank?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
nice job!

jen you are right....unfair :(

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Lynn, your first tank looked lovely too! You should have seen mine - an absolute embarassment, makes me want to hide my head under a rock.

Newbies are getting better and better these days. PLEASE tell me that's not the very first picture you've ever taken of your tank, otherwise I'll be REALLY jealous! :hihi:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, I didn't expect any reaction at all. Thanks! Yes, Aquaforest is to blame for this. They are great - and even made a house call (!) to diagnose my fish-killing issue. Top-notch service, plus every time I visit I get to see their crazy orange discus. Ahh, to have a discus tank.

This is from my first few photos of the tank, but I take lots of pictures of my main obsession, growing carnivorous plants - particularly nepenthes.
Carnivorous Plants Photo Gallery :: Capslock/Max Shaefer

Capslock

·
Registered
889 Posts
Wow that tank is really awesome for a newbie to the hobby, heck it is good regardless :thumbsup: looks like you went all the way with the expensive ADA stuff :D

Wow, I didn't know there was such a vast variety of carnivorous plants, thanks for sharing :) (Maybe you should get a marine tank for SW Carnivorous Plants ;))

·
Registered
12 Posts
...and you might want to consider fishless cycling...no point in sacrifing perfectly good fish until your tank is fully cycled...

...but nice job! I luv it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice tank! Nice carnivorous plant! Maybe you should try growing some
Utricularia graminifolia in your tank. Its an aquatic carnivorous plant. Combining your abilities as a terrestrial plant grower and your aquarium could produce a interesting tank and you probably would have little to no problems with snails.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wow I love it! Nice scape.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.