The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, hello all and glad to be part of this community. I will be starting with a Mr aqua 13.3 bf or 17.1, going hi tech, need input on eheim canister size and lighting. Would like to try LED but not tied to it, I just want something that will be hi light and last. If you pros were setting this up, how would you equip??? Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Welcome to TPT.

For the 17g, I would go with Eheim 2215 or 2073 or higher and a single Current USA LED Planted + 24-36".

Once you are happy with the tank but still think you want higher light, then add the second LED.

The Mr Aqua is a twin to ADA's 60-P tank and there are a ton of journals on both on this forum. I would read them and learn from other people's experiences before jumping head first into a high light high tech tank.

v3

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have the Mr aqua 17.4g. I started with high tech with Co2, ferts and the Aquatic life 2 bulb t5, which was enough for speed u growth, although planted + will be good or better. High tech was good for a while until I got tired of trimming and extra maintenance, plus algae control. High tech is not all about proper equipment, it's how you balance them with your tank. Do your planning well.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If it were my tank, and I wanted to set it up like a pro there is no comparison to the quality you will get with BML LED lights, but they are twice as much as the Finnex lights, but the old says goes "you get what you pay for". With the BML light you shouldn't need a second fixture, you may also even find yourself running it at 70-80% brightness.

As for filters, a canister filter to me is a canister filter, but HOBs are different. Just make sure you get a canister that is strong enough to cycle all the water in your aquarium at least 3 times an hour. I personally have swapped over for Fluval, which I used exclusively for almost five years, to SunSun, which is an extremely popular brand over in Asia where fish keeping is a major hobby not just a niche thing like here in the states. I think my SunSun filters are better than any Fluval I've ever owned, due to the price and performance of the unit itself. I don't know if it will outlast a Fluval, but I imagine it will work just find for several more years, plus if you have a problem these units are often only half the cost of Fluval filters of the same size so you can buy a backup and have it on hand if the shtf.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Humm? Wonder what part of the state you might be?
I just happen to have an Ehiem 2073 with inline diffuser that is looking for a new owner.
PM me if and interested. Actually have lots of spare equipment if needed. No lighting, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for your input. I am not new to planted tanks, just been awhile. I know equipment has changed in the last 4 years, thus my questions. I do currently have a hi tech nano 3 gallon doing great after 4 months. Again, thank you all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts