The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! This is my very first post on the forums, and what better way to kick off here than a journal!

I have a 45 gallon cube rimless tank
24x24x18 inches.

For substrate additives I've done diy ada additives from another thread on this site.

-diy power sand: I used peat Moss and lava rock mixed with some pond fix clarifier bacteria.

-diy penac w/p? I'm not sure which all I know is that it's simply Silicon dioxide to prevent anaerobic spots.

-diy clear super crushed activated carbon and tourmaline crushed bamboo carbon.

Used lava rocks as slope and diy substrate supports out of plastic folders cut up into pieces. Used about 3 9L bags of Amazonia and ohko or dragon stone. I've yet to order plants and I have more rocks coming for further enhancing the hardascape.

As far as lighting goes I made my own led fixture with the makers led heatsink, 5up pro driver board and 4 channels of LEDs most white 6500k but I have a few blue and red LEDs to mix it in.

5 pound c02 tank and some cheap but effective regulator. As well as a in-line atomizer. Going with the lily pipes as well but I've yet to order them

Filter is a sun sun 506b I think? I can't recall. It's about 600gph...

I made my own custom stand which I also haven't finished but getting there

So there you have it I hope anyone that reads this enjoys for a little while. Any and all constructive criticism is welcome!! :)

The link to the pictures is below, I'm on mobile don't know how to add pics directly...

https://imgur.com/a/7hj6R

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as the rocks go I ordered some more to be able to move the smaller ones in the front I too feel the front needs something. As far as plants go athena reineke mini red, pogostemon Helferi around the slopes and HC foreground. For fauna I'm not sure what I'm doing yet, in a separate 55 gallon bare I'm holding a couple of discus (won't be going in the cube) 20 cardinal tetras, a pair of fire appistogrammas, German blue and electric blue ram as well as 2 Denison barbs. I'm thinking the tetras, appistogrammas and the rams though I feel like it might be not that good of an idea considering the fact that there isn't gonna be many hiding spaces for them...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally plants and rocks are in!! I'm a little disappointed in the size of the 3 rocks I ordered but it's OK, the plants made up for it. I ordered 9 pots of HC, 9 of pogostemon Helferi, and 7 of atherna reineke, all in vitro from aquariumplants.com. I got a couple of free crypts with the rock orders so added them as well and I had some extra HC that wasn't doing so good in one of my other tanks so threw it in there too. Took me about 30 mins to plant and I'm done! :) all I have to do now is wait for them to grow then flood. I'll keep this updated frequently, any feed back is welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mike! Also another small update now, I added a ultrasonic mister to turn on every couple of hours during lights on it should help keep everything moist as I work a lot and wonto have time to mist as I should. 5 mins of it on and it covered the tank completely!

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Pretty cool. When are you going to flood it? I just flooded after about a 2 week dry start. I had to flood since that is when I received some submersed ar mini and s repens. The HC cuba had been emerse grown for months though so they have extremely large roots.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
It's looking nice!

I personally might of had the hill/mountain even higher in the corners, but it still looks great.
Any inspiration pic that you are modeling this scape in resemblance of?

Is that really Pogostemon helferi (Downoi)? Kind of hard to tell in the pics.

Any plans for the foreground besides just a field of green HC? Perhaps a windy path/creek running from the foreground, tapering up into the valley would look nice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate all the compliments!!:) first the light I made was a bit costly upwards of 400-500 just because of the driver board, the heatsink and the LEDs. I bought some from Cree I forgot which kind and a bunch of those eBay LEDs. (Some might say they don't work, trust me they grow plants) I followed the instructions from makers led and made 3 sections to look like pendants(best course of action for a cube imo) and wired everything up nice and tidy. Used 2 48v 1A power supplies from ebay(15 each that's cheap!) They haven't failed on me so far. I've been running this light since December without issues. As for the front of the tank I put a couple of crypts that I got free on one side of the tank. Well see how it goes I might rip it out and put it somewhere else. I thought about doing that path through the middle of the hills with inert sand but plants would grow there regardless because I put the substrate additives throughout the whole tank, it would be too much maintenance. I just transported the tank to another apartment and some of the hardascape fell so I redid the hills and they're a bit higher now and I'm putting a yoda figurine on the rock to the right that looks like a mouth (YES I am a star wars NERD) going back to the light if you guys would like I can make a separate post to explain how I made the light in detail. Like I said it's expensive but VERY effective.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.