The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there fellas!

So I wanted to share my 40 gallon breeder, high tech planted tank and it's progress in the hope to get some advice as I'm rather new to the hobby (almost a year now). Especially the whole nutrient dosing thing, and knowing how to spot deficiencies etc (I have done LOTS of research though).
So I basically set this tank up at the very end of April (I believe it was the 28th), after deciding to upgrade from my 20L that I've had for over 6 months at that point. I had done some research and found out about dirted tanks and decided I'd give it a try, especially since I'm all about having the most natural environment possible for my tank (a little more natural than say flourite or any other kind of substrate, although I did have to cap my tank with a little eco complete).
Here are some pics of the initial setup, I had not decided on my lighting choice and was still running the 3x23w cfl's I had over my 20L :

After about a week I finally got my hands on a 36" 24/7 Finnex Planted Plus as well as a Co2 regulator, adapter, paintball co2 cannister. Quickly started my first trimmings as some of the plants were new and had to adjust to submerged conditions. I have been dosing daily with Flourish Excel and maybe once or twice a week with Flourish.
So far, here are the plants I have bought knowing the species : Hemianthus Callitrichoides, Eleocharis Parvula, Eleocharis sp. mini, Lysimachia nummularia, Alternanthera Reineckii, Java moss, Java fern, Pogostemon Erectus, Echinodorus Tenellus,.
And here are the species that I think I have identified but were not sold with any label : Bacopa caroliniana, Rotala rotundifolia, Ludwigia repens.
I have yet to identify exactly what type of swords I have (the 2 you can see on the pic, the giant one and the small one).
I have had pretty minimal algae issues, just a little hair algae when I'm not careful with the flourish I dose. My lights just run on the cycle of the 24/7 planted plus and my co2 drop checker is pretty much yellow (don't worry fishies are fine) by the time the full light comes on and it runs on a solenoid.

One of my concerns is that my HC and my Pogostemon erectus are showing a little bit of yellowing on the tip of their leaves (idk if you can see it on the pics). It started maybe 2-3 weeks ago. I know it's probable a deficiency, but what kind? Iron? Potassium? Nitrogen?

If I've missed some info on my setup and you have questions, I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to give me advice or tell me what I'm doing wrong as I'm pretty new to the hobby!

In the photos that I have attached, the very first one is a couple hours after initial setup. The water is very cloudy.
The following 2 photos are a day after and the next one after that is 2 days afterwards right after a water change. The following picture (1278) was taken 5 days afterwards after I got my finnex planted plus, to show you guys how much the water was clouding up and to show some growth and new lighting.
The following pic is when things start to finally get interesting. Its 12 days after receiving the planted plus and the photo was taken right after a WC. The water is finally clearing up and the plants are really starting to grow. This is basically day 20 of the aquarium being setup.
After that the photos are from today and 3 days ago. Now on day 34.

Thanks in advance for any kind of input or advice you guys might have for me !
I'll try and give weekly updates on the tank!

Pabs.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
In the very last picture, that looks like an Amazon sword. They get way too big for
a 40B tank. But you can surely just let it grow till it's in the way.
You can clearly see growth in the series of pictures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input!
Also should I be worried that the amazon sword might suck up a lot of nutrients making the neighboring plants out competed? Its growing so fast, I might just have to take it out.
Also to be fair I have replanted a lot of trimmings over the course of this past month, although it is technically new growth :p.
I wanted to add that I am also looking for aquascaping suggestions, especially concerning plants species! If you think a particular type of plant would look good in my setup please let me know!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hi Pabs,yes the sword will eventually outgrow that tank they can get up to 22 inch's tall and almost that around.They are big root feeders so if it slows down you may want to add a root tab or two. Welcome to tpt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I also realized I forgot to mention, here is my fishstock :
-9 Amano shrimp
-6 Cherry barbs
-5 Zebra danios
-4 Neon tetras
-1 Upside down catfish
I'm thinking of getting just 2 German blue rams, preferably a mating pair. I know some of you guys might think its not the best choice considering that I only have pretty small fish that might be picked at, but I'm willing to risk it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.