The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting this up now so Im forced to actually do it! I know next to nothing about planted tanks so this will be quite the learning experience. They will be low tech/mid tech, walstad tanks. I do plan on making a co2 setup for it but that will have to wait till I get paid next. I'm short on cash, so this tank will be updated every two weeks. This week I'm getting substrate and I'm going to check out how much styrofoam is to make a background. Pictures tomorrow!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I'm starting with the smaller tank, which is actually a 5 gallon. Bought some MGOPS and some sand, depending on the price of plants I might pick some up. This tank will house a male crowntail betta named Dr. Pepper. The tank is a craigslist find, but is one of those Tetra starter kits from Walmart. The bulb either is burned out or doesn't work. What bulb should I get? I have access to a Petco and a Petsmart as well as Walmart. Couldn't find any styrofoam so it looks like the background will just be black for now.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
If you want a low tech tank to work well with out algae here are a couple of tips, look around the forum for folks with a "fraturnity of dirt" line in their signature, MTS substrates are good for low tech tanks so you can forget about dosing any ferts. Fill the tanks with plants and enough fish to fertilize them and keep your water changes down to every other month, good luck and welcome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.