The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! New to this forum and planted tanks. All I've ever kept are goldfish, and I'm only in High school so having this tank set up might take a while since I have to work and save up for it. It is gonna be a 29 gallon tank with T5HO, Co2, and all the fish in the tank won't exceed 3 inches. :D I'll try to post some pictures soon and more details!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Im little nervous on this though. Not much on the fish since I've been learning and studying anything and everything about fish since middle school. Just the plant part. Kinda scared of how its gonna work out. I wanna try a concave aquascape with no driftwood or just let it all grow wild. Really nervous about making it look good. :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheap cabinet that my dad and I found. :D $35 bucks. Gonna modify it a bit and make it a bit more sturdy and making sure that it can withstand the tank. Gonna add a 2x4 in the indent at the top and then add plywood to the surface to cover it up. Im also gonna add 2 more doors to the bottom portion to hide everything thats going into it. then sanding it down and re-painting it and adding a coat of polyeurathane to waterproof it.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Check and see if there are any fish or plant clubs near you. I was lucky enough to find an aquatic plant club near me :) I've gotten a lot of help from them, plus free plants.

Keep an eye on Craigslist for low cost equipment.

GL

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Help!

So for this tank I was thinking of getting some Eco-Complete. I was wondering how much I needed for a 29 gallon tank. Each bag is 20 pounds. Im also looking at the picture below for some inspiration on aquascaping this tank. I just love that legde effect. Do any of you guys know how to make this ledge effect? Using what rocks or material? And was wondering if I needed to add more substrate so that its level with these rocks to make a ledge effect. Also need some help identifying some of these plants. Or even better recommending plants that would go well with this hardscape. was thinking a bunch of stem plants for the two ledge sections and then some crypt parva and crypt wendtii or downoi for the back and toward the front a HC carpet or DHG carpet. Please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finished modifying the stand today. All we did was add some 2x4s on the back for added support with the 2x4 on the top and bottom. We added an old piece of white hardwood on the top and added trim to hide the ugly white wood. LOL. We used gorilla glue and wood finishing nails to keep the trim in place. We decided against the doors on the bottom cause my dad and I have busy schedules and would take forever to make the doors. Maybe when i have time I'll add them myself not sure. Now all I have to do is sand it down and paint it with stain and a polyeurathane coat. Oh! The gorilla glue expands and turns into this foam and hardens. So I had to use a razor and scrape off all foam. I needed to, because If I didnt there was a 1/2 inch gap between the tank and the trim and it looked awkward. I put the the tank on after...and it was perfect! An exact fit. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also ordered the heater and filter. The heater came fine, but the damn filter came chipped and broken D:< So i had to send it back for a replacement. Yipee. Another week of waiting. >.> But the heater i got is pretty cool. Its from Finnex and had a led moniter for temperature. it has a temp. probe that's attached and has a 2 lights on it, one showing if its on, and the other if its heating. Seemed cool and heard good reviews so why not? Its was cheap. Just 25 bucks on Amazon. Almost the same price as a Eheim Jager.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.