The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've kept fish for a number of years. Even got my son hooked on the hobby.

In all the years I've kept fish, I've never attempted a planted tank. It's time to make the leap. I've been doing some reading, watching some videos, etc. I'm interested in a planted tank with a custom built sump and an aquaponic grow bed.

I've got a 29 gallon tank that my son had set up with a canister filter before he moved out. I want to ditch the canister and build a custom sump.

If this were your tank, what would you do?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've kept fish for a number of years. Even got my son hooked on the hobby.

In all the years I've kept fish, I've never attempted a planted tank. It's time to make the leap. I've been doing some reading, watching some videos, etc. I'm interested in a planted tank with a custom built sump and an aquaponic grow bed.

I've got a 29 gallon tank that my son had set up with a canister filter before he moved out. I want to ditch the canister and build a custom sump.

If this were your tank, what would you do?
Think where it will be located for the water flow level to be adequate to the fish species you want. Then i would start thinking on the plants that comes from the same habitat my fish are, also where i will locate them in my tank with the water flow in mind. If you wanna carpet that thank, it is another play...

Basically i would need nutrient rich substrate, liquid fertilizer (if required by specific plant species), CO2, good light source with a timer, and i would add a "clean up crew" as well as floater plants.

No carbon filter required if you using liquid fertilizers or any chemicals.

I would buy an airstone with a timer set on during your night time only. Providing extra oxygenation for the plants/shrimps/fish.

Good routine and thats it.

* clean up crew: shrimps, snails, floater plants, small algae eater fish.

*CO2: liquid/gas

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.