The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 10 gal tank that is only holding a clown pleco. I've had this pleco for over a year, he was given to me when i had an algae issue in my solo betta tank. While looking around to see if he was ok with plants I found out he's not the best fish for a 10 gallon despite what i was told. I no longer have my betta as he passed on, had him for a few years but now i'm wanting to try to have a planted tank for the first time with another betta. So i most likely will re-home my pleco now that i know my tank is to small, so please guys dont give me to much grief on that, but i want some advice for planting my tank.
So i've heard having plants helps control water nitrate i think, but i was wondering if you have a planted tank do you have to do water changes? Or do the plants themselves take care of everything if you have a water filter in the tank with them. Also what are some good beginner plants for a 10 gal, their substrate, and the lighting? To help with algae what kind of fish can i add in that would get along with a male betta? I have heard of trying snails but im afraid of them breeding and getting over run with them. I do have two moss balls in the tank that i plan on keeping if this changes anything. Are there any particular plants betta fish love to have, and a certain filter i should have for the tank?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well i was planning on doing what i believe is a low tech tank. i just want something natural but easy to manage for a betta fish that he would enjoy. I work and go to college so i don't want something overly high care. I was really curious though if there are carpet like plants that are good for beginners and don't require CO2? And if i did a carpet plant how would i go about cleaning a tank that way? I'm kind of imaging having the carpet bottom, with some taller plants in the background and a single piece of wood in the middle with some ferns or something growing off it.
I cant remember but i've heard some bettas like to play in some plants, but i don't know what kind they would be.

This is a video that is kind of what im wanting

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.