The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the result of my purchasing, hardscaping, and planting at the end of a long Day 1.
Thanks to everybody on this site, a big help in getting me started. Please let me know if anything can be improved. This is my first effort, and I am obviously still learning.

(BTW - don't worry, this tank was already cycled, it was a growout tank for some mbuna I have. I kept the same filters and mixed some of the old substrate with the new eco-complete. Just tested, amonia, nitrite and nitrate are 0ppm, pH 7).

20g tall

Plants:
2x Val. ?? (in back, LFS didn't know which variety it was)
2x Wavy Swordplant (already had)
2x Java fern ($3.99)
2x Anubias nana ($5.99)
1x Anubias afzelli ($4.99) (but there were actually two)
5x Dwarf sagittaria ($0.99)
1x Pygmay chain sword ($1.99)
?x Java moss (free)

Inhabitants:
2x Bolivian ram
5x oto cat

Hardware:
Filters: Aquatech 10-20. Aquatech 5-15
Heater: 100w submersible
Substrate: Eco-Complete mixed with pool filter sand
Lighting: AH Supply 36w kit (65k color) (just ordered, not pictured)
DIY Black fabric on cardboard background

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
I love your drift wood! It looks like you are off to a nice start. I look forward to seeing it mature.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I would;
remove the large oval rock on the left
remove the long narrow rock on the right
and scatter the remaining five rock eggs.
half your tank is covered with wood so
rocks just distract and steal plant space.
beyond that your tank looks marvelous.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your encouragement guys

the middle driftwood is 'grape vine root' the only driftwood I ever bought ($4.00) because it seems rediculous to me to spend money on wood. The other three are from the local creek (no worries, they were cleaned long ago and have been in my other tank for like a year).

regarding the rocks (spypet): well, I like them as is for now. Once (if?) the plants grow, I'll take them out. Hopefully they will grow well once I get the AH Supply kit fitted that should show up next Wednesday.

Oh yeah, the one thing I really like is that I hid all eye sores pretty well: 1 filter intake and heater behind the wood. The only remaining visible is the other filter intake, but it is black on black so not so bad.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I really like your tank, the aquascape and choice of plants is really good. The only thing I would change is the circle of 5 rocks, I think I would either remove them or cover them with moss since they don't really match the colors of the substrate etc. Keep an eye on the moss as it can really get messy if you don't keep it trimmed. Nice job!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i dont know how long you've had that grape vine in there, but if you leave it for a little while longer, you'll see that you can't put that underwater. it's going to grow some sort of fungus around it and really foul that tank. you need to take it like a man and spend the $ for the real deal.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
subotaj: i already have all the varieties of plants that I want, if you mean quantities, then I'm not adding any more. This is my first time, I'd rather wait and see what dies/thrives before doing anything else. I'll just let the java ferns and grasses reproduce on their own. Actually, the pygmy sword chain already has a little runner on it ;)

wow, you cursed me danepatrick! I woke up to fungus on grape vine. Weird, it had been in my oscar tank for like 3months with no problems. Something specific about planted tanks that does this?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
not to my knowledge. i just know that it does that underwater. if left long enough.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Your tank is very inspirational to me, and your first end result gave me some ideas that i will use in my 20gal high. Congrats and keep it up :)

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the tank now, taking in some suggestions.

Changes:

Lighting: now a 36w AH Supply Bright Kit - oh la la - and a 15w strip light for 51w total.
Added a very mild DIY CO2 rig.
Hardscape: Removed fungus-ridden grape vine root and the egg stones, added a piece of polished slate temporarily until the plants fill in.
Plants: Added microsword, hygro sunset, and some mystery stem plant in the front left (pink and light green, small, frail leaves) and a few more Anubias nana.

Inhabitants: 6 otos, 6 neons, 2 bolivian rams

overview

right

left

el macho

the large area in the center will be vacant until the red tiger lotus grows in. it is just a bulb at the mo'

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a "Stage 3" Picture. Got rid of all the java fern and anubias for my new 75g cichlid tank. Added lights to 51w. Added CO2. Lots of new plants. Everything going great. no algae. Happy camper. I took pics today because I am gutting the star grass and putting in some Green Rotala instead with some alternaetha accents. The Hygro in the left isn't permanent, it is just incubating for other use. Doesn't fit with this scape.

Any feedback appreciated. Will post a new pic in one month when rotala is grown out.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh yeah, and everyone was right about the rocks. I was still transitioning from "fish tank" to "planted tank" mentality and didn't have enough plants to fill it in anyways. no I do, thank in no small part to the immensely kind and helpful folks on this forum (thanks especially to turbosaurus!).

regards,

joel

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Hey, that tank looks great. Love the foreground and wood placement.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update on this tank long overdue. Here are the latest pics. Sorry for air bubbles, I just did a WC and sorry for pics I was in a hurry in the daylight. I think the aquascape is 'done', I just have to wait 2 months for it to grow in fully.

The tank now has a name and a theme. "Autumn Rising" As you see, the stem plants are almost all reds. There is only 1 or 2 of most. They are supposed to be 'trees' in the autumn, like the edge of a forest meeting the plains. With riccia, star grass, HM and pellia 'bushes' and blyxa and parva 'shrubs with marsilia minutae 'grass' A standard triangle layout.

Stock: 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Flag Acara, 4 Neons, 4 Ottos,4 Nerite Snails, 1 Ghost Shrimp, unknown quantity of RCS.

Plant List (that counts as collectoritis, yes?):
Alternanthera reineckii 'lilacina'
Ammannia gracilis
Bacopa australis
Bacopa moneri
Blyxa japonica
Cryptocoryne parva
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Hemigraphis traian
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Hydrocotyle leucocephalia
Limnophila aromatic
Lobelia cardinalis 'Small Form'
Ludwigia repens
Marsilea minuta
Microsorum pteropus ‘Needle Leaf’
Potamogeton gayi
Rotala macranda
Rotala sp. ‘colorata’
Rotala wallachii
Vallisneria gigantea marmor 'Red Jungle Val'

Mosses, etc.:
Leptodictyum riparium ‘Stringy Moss’
Monosolenium tenerum 'Pellia'
Taxiphyllum barbieri ‘Java Moss’
Taxiphyllum sp. ‘Peacock Moss’
Vesicularia montagnei ‘Christmas Moss’

3/4 Perspective:

Frontal:

You can see here how I am growing such "high light" plants with only 1.8 WPG: It is all about the relative placement of the light and plants and the rocking AH Supply reflector!

Here you can see all the plants that are starting to grow in the back half of the tank:

Side view

1 - 20 of 22 Posts