The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first planted tank, finally got my plants to grow right. Theres still a lot of room for improvement, but I'm only 16 so I have plenty of time to work on it. :hihi: I don't have any hardscape, but once I have some more money I'm going to order some manzanita. Prom's coming up so that's putting me in a big hole. hmph.

Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
Lighting: 4x65watt JBJ Formosa w/6700k
Filter: 2x Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/Azoo regulator

I'm open to any constructive criticism!

p.s. I'll be getting a background soon! Don't worry!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Nice. Very lush growth. I'd suggest more background plants though, or just open up to have a uniform field of Blyxa/Elatine.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Is that a 72 gallon bow front tank?? I use to have one but finding a good lighting was to expense so it sold it and got a 29 gallon... I like it though..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that a 72 gallon bow front tank?? I use to have one but finding a good lighting was to expense so it sold it and got a 29 gallon... I like it though..
Yup, it's a 72 gallon bow front! My uncle gave it to me for free or else I would've gotten something a lot smaller.

I'm working on growing the plants out more and having it fill in the background.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I think you may have green water, otherwise, your tank's awesome.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think it's green water. I just don't really know how to photograph my tank very well. It's a crappy point and shoot.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I think with the addition of manzanita, it'll bring some contrast to your tank. There's definitely alot of green! :) (not a bad thing) You have some great substrate and equipment, so I would look into bringing some more color into your plant selection. You're lone discus needs help bringing more color to your tank. :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey great start! I was in your same shoes when I was 16...I would have killed for the equipment you have though. Good job on getting good equipment right from the get-go.

I would suggest bunching your background plants more densely, but that's a beautiful carpet you have and I love the open space in the middle for the Discus to graze.

Maybe some reddish-tint plants?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone know of a good way to get rid of the duckweed?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
a net and lots of scooping.
there's a mechanical thingy in the DIY section too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hated when I got a little bit of duckweed in my tank, from an LFS. One or two little pieces got in and I let them go. Big mistake. The surface was covered with them so fast, it was amazing. Took awhile, but I removed all with a net/cup.

Jon

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
man u people are so lucky, im having trouble growing duckweed.. it just wont grow lol plus it makes it looks like more natural i like the looks like giantduckweed, my duckweed disspears over and over again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts