The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first attempt at a planted tank. It's a 55gallon low-tech tank. Shop light inside the DIY hood contains two 32w Philips daylight deluxe tubes. No CO2 injection. No macro fert. Some micro fert with FloraPride. No water changes unless absolutely necessary.

I'm using the penguin filter I had laying around. Took the bio-wheel out. Replaced the cartridge with DIY foam. No activated carbon. Yes Purigen.

A bit overstocked with 4 angels, 4 pearls, 6 cories, 14 neons.

DIY glass covers... look familiar?

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/42194-sliding-glass-top-how.html
Thanks DiabloCanine!

Close up of the planted side

I aimed for the cories but got the crypt instead, oops

The big picture

·
Banned
560 Posts
You need more plants.I will give you some x-moss for your wood if you do a 10% w.c. to bring levels back in line alittle. I can see brown algae forming on the rocks-a sure sign a w.c. is needed IME.

Also the purigen does removes trace elements just so you know FWIW

·
Registered
66 Posts
hmm, i quite like the simplicity of it though for sure =) a little more color would be great

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
You need more plants.I will give you some x-moss for your wood if you do a 10% w.c. to bring levels back in line alittle. I can see brown algae forming on the rocks-a sure sign a w.c. is needed IME.

Also the purigen does removes trace elements just so you know FWIW
Or you can believe what Seachem says about its product vs internet rumor.
Purigen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I added the neons first then the juvenile angels in hopes they won't see them as food. I definitely need to find another home for the angels before the neons start disappearing.

I'm torn on the water change issue. The no-water change thing is probably only for low bio-load tanks, but it's been working out well for my aquarium. I'm afraid messing with it will invite algae. The algae on the rock is due to me accidentally overdosing fert last week.

My vals have been sending out runners like crazy. I have a feeling they're the reason why I can slip by without much water changes. I'm sure within a few weeks the left side of the tank will be completely covered by the vals. I'll relocate the ferns and crypts to the right and that should green up the aquarium.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I would still do water changes just not as often, simply because angels need that super clean water, but again being low tank they are all different and if you tank does better with less water changes then so be it. My 20gal only gets a water change every couple of months. Evaporation is very minimal (surprisingly) and i just top off. Its FULL of guppies, i cant even count how many, and i also have an explosion of plants. But yea anyway i know it sounds really horrible but the plants loooooovvvve it and the guppies are super healthy. I am constantly supplying my friends with guppys for their tanks which they clean like no tomorrow and theirs always die. Its different for each tank. My little ecosystem works best this way (it took me 3 years to figure that out) but someone elses may work best with 5 20% waterchanges a week. Your like you said works well with the minimal things that you do. Thats what low tech is all about. Finding a good balance where everything pretty much ALMOST takes care of themselves :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts