The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! So I decided to start a journal now that I feel like I have a little more knowledge about this stuff. I've always wanted a planted tank and finally got some funds to support it!

So here is my set up so far:
Tank: 5 gal Solo cube by Current
Filtration and Lighting came with it: RGB LED system and a submersible filter and pump with a spray bar
50 W Marineland heater

Hard scape:
fluorite base
Black sand cap
Spider wood

Flora:
Anubias nana
Italian Val
Widelov Java Fern
Moss ball
Plans:
Some limnobium laevigatum
Need some input on a foreground plant!

Fauna:
(I am currently housing my friends platies while she sets up a new tank for them)
1 Ghost shrimp
3 small horned nerites
1 mystery snail (it's huge)
Plans:
Small group of boraras
Maybe more shrimp

My parameters are a little weird since I added the platies, but once they leave I'm sure it will settle back down again.
Temp is about 76 F
pH is 6.8-7.0
I have API CO2 booster and Leaf Zone but have not been dosing, just gonna see what happens for now.

Sorry for the crappy phone pictures, that's all I'm gonna have for awhile! Any input/comments/suggestions are always welcome!
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey everyone! So as I said, my water parameters have been weird since I added my friends platies. The ammonia and nitrite levels are starting to worry me, everyone looks like they are doing fine, shrimp included, but I'm still not happy with it. I've been doing 10-20% water changes every other day (I would do more if I had bigger buckets). Any suggestions to help me get these levels down?
Thanks!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update time!
So Ive done quite a bit since the last post. Ive added a sword and rescaped. Ive also given my friend her platies back. Water parameters are still funky but are getting back to normal. Fighting off some algae currently and need to do some maintanance. I ordered some frog bit and a floating plant guard as well. Here are some updated pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so it's been forever since I've been on here but here is an update!

I have 2 regular neon tetras and 2 diamond head, still have the 2 ghost shrimp, and 1 oto! I took my Val out and added some frogbit, AR mini, and ludwigia repens! The AR and ludwigia are still really new to the tank and coloring back up.

As always, feedback is welcome

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going good, to be honest I feel the tank is too small for the neon tetras and otocinclus (and they're also social fish so prefer groups), and would recommend you switch out for smaller fish like a microrasbora species like Borasras micros.

They have been doing fine for awhile, I might move the oto into my 20 gal once he's a little bigger though. I was planning on boraras originally and then while I was waiting for my LFS to ship them my friend needed to get rid of his tetras, they seem to be doing fine for now!

Reactions: Opare

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice array of what looks like straightforward plants, with a good sized spiderwood piece. I'm noticing the glare is washing out the photos though.

Thanks! I can't ever get decent photos of this tank with my phone and it's super annoying!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update after what seems like forever! I only have some snails and my betta in here now. The marble sword, some Cambodia, AR mini, and some pogostemon from my 29.

Here's a better one of my sassy thing

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh he flares at everything, but as soon as I reach for the food he acts all sweet and practically begs for food.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.