The Planted Tank Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Update Saturday! First a full tank shot:

Water change, vacuuming, and cleaning the glass all went swimmingly. I'm happy with how I positioned everything. Nothing was really in the way or obtrusive during my cleaning.

Some new toys came in. The clear acrylic tubing, a mesh intake cover for baby shrimp and fry if I ever get any. And 8 more CPDs from Aqua Huna! They were super tiny, non-colored little guys, so they can't be more than a few weeks old. Thankfully they're rambunctious so they have fit right in and are eating well.

The thing I'm MOST excited about... a breeding box that I'm planning to use as an aquaponics setup! What plants would you grow? I'm thinking some herbs like basil, maybe thyme... thoughts?

Some pics:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Cool! I've seen breeding boxes being used for aquaponics before but never seen that canister hose split before. Does it work well, will the flow be roughly 50% of normal flow or how's the distribution?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Does it work well, will the flow be roughly 50% of normal flow or how's the distribution?
It's definitely not 50/50 which is just a lucky surprise for me! I definitely didn't take fluid dynamics during my business degree 😉

I would say it's close to 25% flow into the breeder box, which is perfect. I initially tried it with all of the outflow into the breeder, which actually worked, but it was so close to overflowing all the time I knew that one small hiccup would flood the room. Thus the split.

I also tried with a small 80gph pump from my betta tank turned down low and I would say the flow is equivalent to that.

Not much, but enough for plants and enough to lower the flow of the main outflow, which is something I've been struggling with!

Next step is to include a ball valve so I can turn off flow to the breeder box.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Added some basil to my HOB aquaponics.

Also had an old LED light from a different nano tank so I built a wooden stand to hold the light. Once the basil grows I can easily put wood blocks under it to raise it up.

I'm pretty excited to see how the basil grows!

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Rebuttal

You mentioned your vision was to have one scene on the left side and another
scene on the right side. I don't think it is aesthetically pleasing to have both.
The aquarium is a box, with four sides, just like a canvas has four sides. And
what we are doing is painting a landscape on the canvas. One scene should
extend to all four sides. I like the scene on the left and I think it should continue
on the right sloping down. The blue rock is out of place. It would do well in an
iwagumi tank with similar rocks and green carpet, but not in this one. Just get
another 20 gallon long and put the blue rock in there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
You mentioned your vision was to have one scene on the left side and another
scene on the right side. I don't think it is aesthetically pleasing to have both.
The aquarium is a box, with four sides, just like a canvas has four sides. And
what we are doing is painting a landscape on the canvas. One scene should
extend to all four sides. I like the scene on the left and I think it should continue
on the right sloping down. The blue rock is out of place. It would do well in an
iwagumi tank with similar rocks and green carpet, but not in this one. Just get
another 20 gallon long and put the blue rock in there.
I definitely see how that would be a more traditional setup!

Right now I'm liking how the fish interact with the open space on one side and the jungle on the left.

The nice thing is that due to my job I move ever couple of years so I'll have to redo it in the future whether I want to or not!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Two quick updates.

The hydroponics project is going SWIMMINGLY (hehe)

See the attached photo for a single week's growth on the basil. It's insane how well it's growing!

Second update... I HAVE CPD FRY! or at least one haha. See the video below. I haven't been trying to breed them, so the fact that one survived and is already big enough to eat really tiny flake bits is pretty awesome!

https://youtu.be/82xSaJokT-A

Attachments

61 - 76 of 76 Posts