The Planted Tank Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thanks! How would that work in the high current next to the filter intake? I didn't put anything there right now because I wasn't sure if it would just get sucked up right away

Well it depends what you mean by high curent. A video maybe would be nice.
I would recomend a spay bar anyway...
You should just try and plant something back there and see how it copes with the flow.
Lol true!

I'd have to cut the spray bar that came with my tank, which I'm ok with, I just want to make sure it's what I want first.

Why do you recommend a spray bar? For this setup in particular or just in general?

I do have a dwarf tiger lily that has absolutely taken over my betta's 5 gallon... Maybe I'll move that over into the corner! I wouldn't be too worried about the large leaves getting sucked into the filter that way

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Glass lily pipes would look great in there with the rimless. Usually you put the outlet on the side toward the front glass and the intake on the same side. This will create a circular current throughout. If you position it toward the front it won't interfere with higher stems in the back. The lily pipes will also allow you to get rid of Eheim Green.

Whether you load with other plants or not (which of course helps, but sometimes it's not what you want), make sure your lights aren't peaking for a long time, do consistent water changes (at least once a week) and remove any damaged/dying leaves. All these things help to control algae development.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Glass lily pipes would look great in there with the rimless. Usually you put the outlet on the side toward the front glass and the intake on the same side. This will create a circular current throughout. If you position it toward the front it won't interfere with higher stems in the back. The lily pipes will also allow you to get rid of Eheim Green.

Whether you load with other plants or not (which of course helps, but sometimes it's not what you want), make sure your lights aren't peaking for a long time, do consistent water changes (at least once a week) and remove any damaged/dying leaves. All these things help to control algae development.
I agree! I'm worried about how fragile they are. There's a good circulation current already. I tried food coloring with the intake and outlet on the same side as well as how they're set up now, and there's not much difference. The way it is now, the current circles the back around the front, down and back to the intake.

My dwarf lily definitely won't work there, check out the attachment. It's just plastered up against the side. Poor little lily lol!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I agree! I'm worried about how fragile they are. There's a good circulation current already. I tried food coloring with the intake and outlet on the same side as well as how they're set up now, and there's not much difference. The way it is now, the current circles the back around the front, down and back to the intake.

My dwarf lily definitely won't work there, check out the attachment. It's just plastered up against the side. Poor little lily lol!
You can also get them in acrylic or stainless if your worried about breakage. Not a fan of eheim green. Too distracting to me in a rimless.

Yeah, you can do the lintake/outake either way. It's really not that important as long as you have some flow throughout. I was thinking the lily outflow front left it would smash against the front glass and by the time it wrapped around the back it wouldn't bend over any tall stems. But the way you have it will work to based on your setup.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I'll look for acrylic, I like the idea of that!

Added a temp probe to have a backup in case the inline heater craps itself so I won't kill hundreds of dollars of fish. Very low profile, you can barely see it behind the outflow.

It will kick off power to the heater if it ever goes above 84. It should never get CLOSE to that, so the only time it would kick off would be if the heater fails on.

If both go out at the same time, well it was just my fish's time to go!

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'll look for acrylic, I like the idea of that!

Added a temp probe to have a backup in case the inline heater craps itself so I won't kill hundreds of dollars of fish. Very low profile, you can barely see it behind the outflow.

It will kick off power to the heater if it ever goes above 84. It should never get CLOSE to that, so the only time it would kick off would be if the heater fails on.

If both go out at the same time, well it was just my fish's time to go!
I really like that idea, I'm running a 300W inline heater myself, well capable of boiling my 24G tank. Would you perhaps have a link to this?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I really like that idea, I'm running a 300W inline heater myself, well capable of boiling my 24G tank. Would you perhaps have a link to this?
Yup! Not an affiliate link, not affiliated with the company at all.

Seems like cheap Chinese electronics just like my inline heater, but hopefully two cheaply made products can help prevent a disaster better than one would!

The C206 is just a temp probe, the C206T also adds a timer. I got the timer version just because I found it from Amazon marketplace for like $5 cheaper than either version!

Inkbird 10A Heat Mat Temperature Controller C206 Seeding Thermostats with Outlet and 6.56 Feet NTC Sensor No Cooling and Timer Function https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NY8NT9B/

·
Registered
296 Posts
The temp controller is a nice idea! Never have had a problem with a heater luckily but prob worth investing in either way for safety.

Consider putting the intake on the right side as well so it’s pushing water across the top of the whole tank and then sucking it in through the bottom for a circular motion which will get co2 and nutrients to all the plants as well as help keep mulm in the water column to get sucked up by the intake (the spray bar helps a lot with this as someone mentioned above). Also, do you by chance have another one of those rocks that is on the right? You could use it to replace the one on the left and really tie the scape together. You could change nothing and it still looks great! Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Also, do you by chance have another one of those rocks that is on the right? You could use it to replace the one on the left and really tie the scape together. You could change nothing and it still looks great! Just a thought.
I don't and the local selection is horrid!

I'm hoping after it grows in it will look like a jungle on the left and you won't even see the rock. It's a curved almost cave shaped rock too, which I hope the fish will like.

I'll keep my eyes open for a better one though!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Ok y'all convinced me. I ordered some clear acrylic lily pipes.

I know the acrylic will scratch and fog over time versus glass, still better than green lol

With Amazon it says to expect delivery some time in May, even though they're in stock, so it might be a bit!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ok y'all convinced me. I ordered some clear acrylic lily pipes.

I know the acrylic will scratch and fog over time versus glass, still better than green lol

With Amazon it says to expect delivery some time in May, even though they're in stock, so it might be a bit!

Let me know of the quality of the ones you get. I’ve always heard they are fragile as well but hope they are awesome for ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hmmm interesting idea about the heat probe plug, might look into that for a euro plug.

The standard green pipes aren't so nice I agree! I decided to go with SS because I like the look and theyre nice and strong and not such an eye sore if they get dirty because they arent see through but perfectly clean glass (acrylic glass too ;) ) pipes do look very nice!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
The standard green pipes aren't so nice I agree! I decided to go with SS because I like the look and theyre nice and strong and not such an eye sore if they get dirty because they arent see through
If I could find SS in a smaller size (this tank is only 12"tall) I would get them in a heartbeat!

Even better if I could find a nano set with a surface skimmer

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
OH SNAP! Here we go!

Also, curbside pickup due to pandemic means I couldn't check for health, but I trust my local fish store to pick out some good ones for me. Hopefully!

Added 7 White Cloud Minnows and 3 Emerald Dwarf Rasboras!

We'll see if this goes smoothly and then add more next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Added fish and installed my inline heater!

Inline Hydor heater with the aforementioned external temp controller. Tested the temp controller with a known hot liquid and it reads accurately and cut off exactly at 80 degrees (I'm keeping the tank at 76, so anything that hot would be very unordinary). Ignore the direction arrow on the tube coming out of the heater... tubing works either direction (I'm assuming?) and I just didn't pay attention when installing lol

It goes heater, inline CO2 atomizer, then to the output.

Fish! Found an awesome Dward Gourami, albino bristlenose pleco, and added more Emerald Dwarf Rasboras. The Rasboras are much more outgoing now that there are 7 of them! Last picture, rescued a male/female pair Blue Eyed Forktailed Rainbow from someone who was struggling to keep their tank going and was looking to get rid of them. They were incredibly dull and have already brightened up so much!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Update: the white cloud minnows are gone!

Not in a bad way! They were great fish, extremely active and fun to watch, but the more shy Rasboras never came out of the heavily planted area in the back, and I suspected it was because of the minnows.

Now that they're gone, the Rasboras are ALL OVER the place! Tank looks a bit more empty so in going to pick up some more if the same/similar nano fish.

I traded locally for 12 red/blue shrimp who have taken over Shrimp Mountain for themselves. It was built with shrimp in mind and has a large cave underneath where they're taken up residence.

No issues with the Dwarf Gourami and the shrimp either. He's more interested in uprooting my DHG 🙄

41 - 60 of 76 Posts