The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Maybe try adding a spray bar along the right side if possible. If not I would not worry about it much. Plant it, get the fish and than see how the fish and plants cope with that flow.
That plant combination should be very nice. Looking forward to see it planted....
Good point, I'll plant first. I have several longer plants that might slow down that flow. I do have a spraybar I could use if need be

I'm looking forward to finding the plants! So far it's been very difficult...

·
Registered
130 Posts
In north Dallas area, I have visited these many times and bought plants/fish/inverts at all of them: Fish Gallery (Greenville near Park Ln); Dallas North Aquarium (Carrolton: Trinity Mills near Marsh); Exotic Aquatics (Plano: Custer @ Parker). I have never seen Buce's at any of them. The first two have bigger selections; DNA expanded their plant selection over the past couple of years. That said, it seems like reefers get more love around here.

There's always this site. Also, I have had good luck ordering plants from AquariumPlantsFactory so far.

Tank is looking good!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sure wish I saw this earlier. The tank is really progressing, but your location is going to cause you grief.

Right next to a large window will fuel algae blooms and possible temperature variations (Central Air or not). Is there another location you could possibly move this to?

Gary

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sure wish I saw this earlier. The tank is really progressing, but your location is going to cause you grief.

Right next to a large window will fuel algae blooms and possible temperature variations (Central Air or not). Is there another location you could possibly move this to?

Gary
It's a north facing window that doesn't get ANY sun through it at all!

I guess I'll see over time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
How much indirect (in hours) does the tank get? Yes, you may be able to manage, but I would have a backup plan in place.

Gary
Very little, and the back is a frosted glass, which also cuts down on outside light. I don't have another great place to put it, so if I'm back in a few months asking for help with algae, you can tell me "I told you so!" then haha

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nice setup, very similar to my own and I intend to keep CPD's as well. I got the Eheim ecco 300, which I believe to be very similar to yours (mine is a 24g long) and I'm not worried at all about flow. In fact, I've added a tiny powerhead (50gph) to increase surface agitation and make sure there's no dead spots, but then again I have a lot more decor than you do. I won't be keeping Gouramis though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Nice setup, very similar to my own and I intend to keep CPD's as well. I got the Eheim ecco 300, which I believe to be very similar to yours (mine is a 24g long) and I'm not worried at all about flow. In fact, I've added a tiny powerhead (50gph) to increase surface agitation and make sure there's no dead spots, but then again I have a lot more decor than you do. I won't be keeping Gouramis though.
Wow really? Thanks for your input. The flow should be reduced once I get some plants in there too, so I wonder if I'll need more surface agitation as well.

I've been considering a sponge filter that I can run with an air pump with a battery backup. Good for power outages or quickly cycling a new tank plus it would agitate the surface without increasing flow.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wow really? Thanks for your input. The flow should be reduced once I get some plants in there too, so I wonder if I'll need more surface agitation as well.

I've been considering a sponge filter that I can run with an air pump with a battery backup. Good for power outages or quickly cycling a new tank plus it would agitate the surface without increasing flow.
I'm a huge fan of the shimmer effect you get from the agitation so that's the main reason for focusing on extra movement in the water column. Actually forgot to mention I'm running the Eheim skim 350 as well - only bought it a few days ago and 100% believe it's the best aquarium equipment out there in benefit/ $. Water is spotless, gas exchange increased, ligh penetration increased and no greasy film on the surface. Something to keep in mind.

Sponge filter is certainly good as backup, beware there may be some noise generated by the air pump though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Actually forgot to mention I'm running the Eheim skim 350 as well - only bought it a few days ago and 100% believe it's the best aquarium equipment out there in benefit/ $.
Sponge filter is certainly good as backup, beware there may be some noise generated by the air pump though.
That's a cool little toy! I'm trying to keep equipment in the tank down to a minimum because mine is not NEARLY as filled out as yours (your tank is amazing, btw!)

We'll see how mine handles fish and plants and then go from there. Nice to have all the options though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Current full tank shot. Looking forward to planting this weekend and finalizing my stock plan!

So far I'm thinking:

Centerpiece fish: a pair of Apistos or Dwarf powder blue Gouramis (the wife prefers the Gouramis)

Schooling fish: 10 celestial pearl danios

Bottom dwellers: 5 panda Cory's. Maybe a bristlenose pleco? Red cherry shrimp.

I'd like to get Amano shrimp but I'm leaving it open top and have heard many stories of them escaping.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I'd like to get Amano shrimp but I'm leaving it open top and have heard many stories of them escaping.
No you shouldn't have any problem with Amanos. You do realize the Amano shrimp was named after Takashi Amano the founder of ADA who pretty much ushered in the rimless look. I usually leave 1" between the rim and the waterline as a precaution, but I've never had a problem with Amanos or any shrimp jumping. Had them in many open-tops.

My current tank (in sig link) has them and I have plants that they crawl on right at the surface. I also have been 50-60 red cherry shrimp in there and haven't found one on the floor yet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So I have a problem. The description in the for sale listing from @Sam the Slayer was not accurate. He mentioned a few plants and a bit of Monte Carlo. Instead, I got an overwhelming amount of very healthy plants! Huge shout out to @Sam the Slayer who provided above and beyond the amount of Monte Carlo and Araguaia Hygrophila for my tank!

I also purchased some plants from Liquid Creations, and was very happy with the packaging, amount, and health of the plants.

So in my tank I have, generally from left to right:

Araguaia Hygrophila
Alternanthera Reineckii Mini
A bonsai with Monte Carlo leaves and Anubias Nana Petite in the roots
Ludwigia Sp. Red in the background
Monte Carlo carpet on the right
Eriocaulon Feather Duster and Leopard Vallisneria behind the mountain.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how plant day went, considering I've never planted anything before!

I still have some weeping moss I intended to use for the bonsai, but will probably use for the roots of the tree and the rocks around the tree and stream/path.

What plants could I use to improve this setup? You let me know!

Bump: My tank is fully cycled, processing 2ppm of ammonia daily with ease. Probably because I have an Eheim Classic 350 on a 22 gallon tank which is overkill! But that's good.

My CO2 came in from CO2 Art and it was a joy to set up. Very easy, and seems very well made. I am running 1 bubble/sec for now until I can give it some time to settle. I'll adjust from there.

Literally behind the scenes:

Inline diffuser:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Everything is looking great! I have always wanted to do a bonsai but never have and I like the choice of Monte Carlo on it. Also, I am glad the plants arrived well and you like them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks better now with the plants. I would use rotala in the background on the left. Nice looking fast growing plant, just what you need for the start to avoid algae blooms. As much fast growing plants as you can fit in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Looks better now with the plants. I would use rotala in the background on the left. Nice looking fast growing plant, just what you need for the start to avoid algae blooms. As much fast growing plants as you can fit in.
Thanks! How would that work in the high current next to the filter intake? I didn't put anything there right now because I wasn't sure if it would just get sucked up right away

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks! How would that work in the high current next to the filter intake? I didn't put anything there right now because I wasn't sure if it would just get sucked up right away

Well it depends what you mean by high curent. A video maybe would be nice.
I would recomend a spay bar anyway...
You should just try and plant something back there and see how it copes with the flow.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts