The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So it begins... My first high tech planted. First community fish. First larger than 10 gal. A lot of firsts!

Tank: Mr. Aqua 22gal Long. DIY frosted background.
Filter: Eheim Classic 350.
Light: Finnex 24/7 Planted+ HLC
C02: C02 Art with inline atomizer

Hardscape is ready, just waiting for my mat to go under the tank first. I've been cycling for 2 days now.

Next, I'll put in hardscape and plants, cycle for 2 weeks, then it's fishy time!

I'll be asking for recommendations on plants!

Most recent update May 2, 2020

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First take at hardscaping. Only the right side is "done". It will be planted with Monte Carlo and some medium-tall bunches of grass sprinkled throughout.

I'm thinking of some kind of bushy green plant for the base of the mountain. Some sort of Buce?

The left side I'm planning a driftwood bonsai with weeping moss, some marimo boulders, and yet to be determined red plants.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think a clump of Buce would look really cool at the base of the rock. You mentioned this to be a lot of firsts for you, so i piece of advice I wish I had sooner, be careful if you plant the Buce not to burry the rhizome.
There's so many plants that look like they should be buried but can't! I try to research a lot before getting anything, thanks for the reminder.

I agree, I think I'll go with Buce. Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before anyone says anything, I KNOW there's too much going on haha!

I don't plan to keep all of this in there, just throwing it in there to show y'all the options.

I really, REALLY like the bonsai. I would plant it with weeping moss, or maybe some Buce. Buce with weeping moss underneath? I don't know.

Thoughts on where to put what?

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, that's very helpful.

I like the placement of the bonsai you mentioned. I think I'll just have to get rid of one of the rocks, unfortunately. I love them all though!

My original idea was two separate "styles" separated by that path. On the right, a simple mountain, carpet, some grasses...

On the left a jungle theme surrounding the focal point, the bonsai.

This is my first high tech, first big planted, first C02, etc etc etc...

I think I'm trying to do too much!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That looks much better with the bonsai. You almost never want something dead center. The rocks are just very big and kinda dwarf the bonsai.
Ok. This would take a lot of work to actually bury properly, so imagine it a few inches deeper, rock barely visible. Elevates the bonsai and I think looks good, but is yet another type of rock 🙄

I'm really not good at this. Wanna come over to my place? 😬

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Let the cycling begin!

Two questions have come up:

1. Really struggling to find a good place to buy plants. My list is below. Is this an unreasonably difficult list to find? I would like to order from one place so I can plant all in the same day.

Plants:

Monte Carlo
Bucephalandra - any variety. 5 plants
Weeping moss - just one handful or so for the bonsai
Ludwigia Mini Super Red - 3
Vallisneria - 3. Prefer nana, but regular is fine too
Potomageton Gayi "Pondweed" - 2
Araguaia Hygro - 2
Blyxa japonica - 2

2. Should I try to baffle this flow? Does it seem unreasonably high for a community tank with gouramis, CPDs, and some sort of tetra? https://photos.app.goo.gl/o6VFwhFxmbRnoos68

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Maybe try adding a spray bar along the right side if possible. If not I would not worry about it much. Plant it, get the fish and than see how the fish and plants cope with that flow.
That plant combination should be very nice. Looking forward to see it planted....
Good point, I'll plant first. I have several longer plants that might slow down that flow. I do have a spraybar I could use if need be

I'm looking forward to finding the plants! So far it's been very difficult...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sure wish I saw this earlier. The tank is really progressing, but your location is going to cause you grief.

Right next to a large window will fuel algae blooms and possible temperature variations (Central Air or not). Is there another location you could possibly move this to?

Gary
It's a north facing window that doesn't get ANY sun through it at all!

I guess I'll see over time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
How much indirect (in hours) does the tank get? Yes, you may be able to manage, but I would have a backup plan in place.

Gary
Very little, and the back is a frosted glass, which also cuts down on outside light. I don't have another great place to put it, so if I'm back in a few months asking for help with algae, you can tell me "I told you so!" then haha

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Nice setup, very similar to my own and I intend to keep CPD's as well. I got the Eheim ecco 300, which I believe to be very similar to yours (mine is a 24g long) and I'm not worried at all about flow. In fact, I've added a tiny powerhead (50gph) to increase surface agitation and make sure there's no dead spots, but then again I have a lot more decor than you do. I won't be keeping Gouramis though.
Wow really? Thanks for your input. The flow should be reduced once I get some plants in there too, so I wonder if I'll need more surface agitation as well.

I've been considering a sponge filter that I can run with an air pump with a battery backup. Good for power outages or quickly cycling a new tank plus it would agitate the surface without increasing flow.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Actually forgot to mention I'm running the Eheim skim 350 as well - only bought it a few days ago and 100% believe it's the best aquarium equipment out there in benefit/ $.
Sponge filter is certainly good as backup, beware there may be some noise generated by the air pump though.
That's a cool little toy! I'm trying to keep equipment in the tank down to a minimum because mine is not NEARLY as filled out as yours (your tank is amazing, btw!)

We'll see how mine handles fish and plants and then go from there. Nice to have all the options though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Current full tank shot. Looking forward to planting this weekend and finalizing my stock plan!

So far I'm thinking:

Centerpiece fish: a pair of Apistos or Dwarf powder blue Gouramis (the wife prefers the Gouramis)

Schooling fish: 10 celestial pearl danios

Bottom dwellers: 5 panda Cory's. Maybe a bristlenose pleco? Red cherry shrimp.

I'd like to get Amano shrimp but I'm leaving it open top and have heard many stories of them escaping.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts