The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
First I'll say its your setup and you should do what you want.

With that said, I'll put my scaping hat on and tell you what I think from certain principals that usually work. Yeah I know you can break the rules, but the majority of times the principals are more pleasing to the eye to most people.

If your going to use the bonsai that is going to be your focal point. Focal points many times are located off center (rule of thirds) They are usually the tallest and most dominant thing in the scape. So if you keep the bonsai, the rocks are too big, unless you can bury them or lay them down. The bonsai would look good just to the left or right of the path. If you angle it a bit and have a branch hover over the path with the moss you mentioned that would be good. The path also is too straight. It would look more natural if your twisted it a bit.

Also the use of different rock types doesn't usually work, for the same reason, it doesn't look natural and would distract too much from the focal point. Ideally if you could break one of those rocks and group them in front and to the side of the bonsai that would probably work well.

But again, its your setup so do what comes nature to you.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
That looks much better with the bonsai. You almost never want something dead center. The rocks are just very big and kinda dwarf the bonsai. You can break the Seiryu. If you do make sure to where protective eye gear. Otherwise if you have a vision in mind, then you should follow it.

That's a nice size tank. I have a 12g long. Kinda wish I went bigger to the 22g.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I'm really not good at this. Wanna come over to my place? 😬
Wish I could, be a fun project. That looks better with the bonsai higher. What you can do is try to sweep some the substrate up toward the rock to hid more of it. You have alot of substrate in the front, especially on the right side. You can then put moss on that rock and eventually you won't see much of it.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I'd like to get Amano shrimp but I'm leaving it open top and have heard many stories of them escaping.
No you shouldn't have any problem with Amanos. You do realize the Amano shrimp was named after Takashi Amano the founder of ADA who pretty much ushered in the rimless look. I usually leave 1" between the rim and the waterline as a precaution, but I've never had a problem with Amanos or any shrimp jumping. Had them in many open-tops.

My current tank (in sig link) has them and I have plants that they crawl on right at the surface. I also have been 50-60 red cherry shrimp in there and haven't found one on the floor yet.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Glass lily pipes would look great in there with the rimless. Usually you put the outlet on the side toward the front glass and the intake on the same side. This will create a circular current throughout. If you position it toward the front it won't interfere with higher stems in the back. The lily pipes will also allow you to get rid of Eheim Green.

Whether you load with other plants or not (which of course helps, but sometimes it's not what you want), make sure your lights aren't peaking for a long time, do consistent water changes (at least once a week) and remove any damaged/dying leaves. All these things help to control algae development.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I agree! I'm worried about how fragile they are. There's a good circulation current already. I tried food coloring with the intake and outlet on the same side as well as how they're set up now, and there's not much difference. The way it is now, the current circles the back around the front, down and back to the intake.

My dwarf lily definitely won't work there, check out the attachment. It's just plastered up against the side. Poor little lily lol!
You can also get them in acrylic or stainless if your worried about breakage. Not a fan of eheim green. Too distracting to me in a rimless.

Yeah, you can do the lintake/outake either way. It's really not that important as long as you have some flow throughout. I was thinking the lily outflow front left it would smash against the front glass and by the time it wrapped around the back it wouldn't bend over any tall stems. But the way you have it will work to based on your setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts