The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So it begins... My first high tech planted. First community fish. First larger than 10 gal. A lot of firsts!

Tank: Mr. Aqua 22gal Long. DIY frosted background.
Filter: Eheim Classic 350.
Light: Finnex 24/7 Planted+ HLC
C02: C02 Art with inline atomizer

Hardscape is ready, just waiting for my mat to go under the tank first. I've been cycling for 2 days now.

Next, I'll put in hardscape and plants, cycle for 2 weeks, then it's fishy time!

I'll be asking for recommendations on plants!

Most recent update May 2, 2020

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First take at hardscaping. Only the right side is "done". It will be planted with Monte Carlo and some medium-tall bunches of grass sprinkled throughout.

I'm thinking of some kind of bushy green plant for the base of the mountain. Some sort of Buce?

The left side I'm planning a driftwood bonsai with weeping moss, some marimo boulders, and yet to be determined red plants.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I think a clump of Buce would look really cool at the base of the rock. You mentioned this to be a lot of firsts for you, so i piece of advice I wish I had sooner, be careful if you plant the Buce not to burry the rhizome. I made that mistake a couple times :) Can't wait to see it planted.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think a clump of Buce would look really cool at the base of the rock. You mentioned this to be a lot of firsts for you, so i piece of advice I wish I had sooner, be careful if you plant the Buce not to burry the rhizome.
There's so many plants that look like they should be buried but can't! I try to research a lot before getting anything, thanks for the reminder.

I agree, I think I'll go with Buce. Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before anyone says anything, I KNOW there's too much going on haha!

I don't plan to keep all of this in there, just throwing it in there to show y'all the options.

I really, REALLY like the bonsai. I would plant it with weeping moss, or maybe some Buce. Buce with weeping moss underneath? I don't know.

Thoughts on where to put what?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
First I'll say its your setup and you should do what you want.

With that said, I'll put my scaping hat on and tell you what I think from certain principals that usually work. Yeah I know you can break the rules, but the majority of times the principals are more pleasing to the eye to most people.

If your going to use the bonsai that is going to be your focal point. Focal points many times are located off center (rule of thirds) They are usually the tallest and most dominant thing in the scape. So if you keep the bonsai, the rocks are too big, unless you can bury them or lay them down. The bonsai would look good just to the left or right of the path. If you angle it a bit and have a branch hover over the path with the moss you mentioned that would be good. The path also is too straight. It would look more natural if your twisted it a bit.

Also the use of different rock types doesn't usually work, for the same reason, it doesn't look natural and would distract too much from the focal point. Ideally if you could break one of those rocks and group them in front and to the side of the bonsai that would probably work well.

But again, its your setup so do what comes nature to you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, that's very helpful.

I like the placement of the bonsai you mentioned. I think I'll just have to get rid of one of the rocks, unfortunately. I love them all though!

My original idea was two separate "styles" separated by that path. On the right, a simple mountain, carpet, some grasses...

On the left a jungle theme surrounding the focal point, the bonsai.

This is my first high tech, first big planted, first C02, etc etc etc...

I think I'm trying to do too much!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
That looks much better with the bonsai. You almost never want something dead center. The rocks are just very big and kinda dwarf the bonsai. You can break the Seiryu. If you do make sure to where protective eye gear. Otherwise if you have a vision in mind, then you should follow it.

That's a nice size tank. I have a 12g long. Kinda wish I went bigger to the 22g.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That looks much better with the bonsai. You almost never want something dead center. The rocks are just very big and kinda dwarf the bonsai.
Ok. This would take a lot of work to actually bury properly, so imagine it a few inches deeper, rock barely visible. Elevates the bonsai and I think looks good, but is yet another type of rock 🙄

I'm really not good at this. Wanna come over to my place? 😬

Attachments

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I'm really not good at this. Wanna come over to my place? 😬
Wish I could, be a fun project. That looks better with the bonsai higher. What you can do is try to sweep some the substrate up toward the rock to hid more of it. You have alot of substrate in the front, especially on the right side. You can then put moss on that rock and eventually you won't see much of it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Let the cycling begin!

Two questions have come up:

1. Really struggling to find a good place to buy plants. My list is below. Is this an unreasonably difficult list to find? I would like to order from one place so I can plant all in the same day.

Plants:

Monte Carlo
Bucephalandra - any variety. 5 plants
Weeping moss - just one handful or so for the bonsai
Ludwigia Mini Super Red - 3
Vallisneria - 3. Prefer nana, but regular is fine too
Potomageton Gayi "Pondweed" - 2
Araguaia Hygro - 2
Blyxa japonica - 2

2. Should I try to baffle this flow? Does it seem unreasonably high for a community tank with gouramis, CPDs, and some sort of tetra? https://photos.app.goo.gl/o6VFwhFxmbRnoos68

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe try adding a spray bar along the right side if possible. If not I would not worry about it much. Plant it, get the fish and than see how the fish and plants cope with that flow.
That plant combination should be very nice. Looking forward to see it planted....

1 - 20 of 76 Posts