The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there, so I've wanted to start up a planted tank for a while now, and after moving to a new house with a bit more space I've bought a tank to give it a go.

I've currently got a nice starter tank, it's a Juwel Rekord 800, which is full of very beginner species and it's taught me a lot, I've had crayfish, malawi species, guppies, platies, rainbow loach, plecs, crabs, shrimp, tetras, all sorts.. It's all a bit boring now, so for the planted option I've gone for the following:

Fluval Roma 125 with the new (MUCH nicer) cabinet, Never liked this tank before because of the cabinet but the new one is brilliant.

Going with an external canister filter (Fluval 206) to save space inside the tank, I'll sell the Fluval E3 online I guess.

Bought the Fluval 88g CO2 kit too, quite basic at this stage but I'll see how it get on.

Lighting wise, I'm researching what to do.. I want an Arcadia OT2 4*24w Luminaire, but we'll see.

Everything arrived 2 weeks back:

1.jpg

5.jpg

The new-look cabinet really is great!

Now the next part you'll have to just go with me for a bit - I'm growing everything a bit before I fully aqua scape everything. I've got some Java moss on the bogwood that's growing pretty quickly, the rest's all looking OKAY, hasn't done much in the last 2 weeks.

9.jpg

14.jpg

Details:

Substrate is Eco Complete, with 9kgs of sand on top, will be taking this out, really don't like it!

Will keep updating.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Week 2 progress

Spent some money today - bought some livestock to clean up some annoying string algae and neaten things up a little.

Few photos:

4 Siamese Algae Eaters

SAE.jpg

1 of 5 Cherry shrimp.

cherry-shrimp.jpg

Bought 2 apple snails too because they're great to watch.. bit bold though.

Got some awesome bogwood but currently soaked to remove tannins.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More new plants

Some new moss arrived today:

Taxiphyllum barbieri (Vesicularia)
Vesicularia dubyana (Christmas moss)

Both are currently tied to some new bogwood:

tank_newer.jpg

Other news:

Just ordered a new light, an Arcadia OT2 luminaire with 4*24watt bulbs.

Should boost the light enough!

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Looks goods and I like the Cherrys and snails, but the SAE's will get 5 to 6 inches (15.24 cm) in that little tank, I'd swap them for Otocinclus, they are the best cleaners and won't eat flake, just my opinion.

Here's my 6" SAE's he's the last of 5 and he's 6 and a half years old, so..........to get some scale the Rummy's in the background are 1.75 to 2 inches long. Look close and you can see it in his eye "Feed Me", he's beautiful but big.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I knew they grew a bit but didn't realise they got to 6"! I bought 4 tiny ones because I had a serious Algae problem.. I'll relocate them once everything's settled, thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts